Avocados

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Here's an article with some truly helpful tips on keeping a cut avocado from going brown instead of the myth still being perpetuated about leaving the pit in.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/how-to-keep-an-avocado-from-browning-97168129553.html

The article mentions brushing the cut surface with olive oil or lemon juice, and surprisingly enough placing the avocado (cut-side UP) on a bed of freshly chopped red onion. The theory behind that being the vapors the onion emits keeping the avocado from browning. Of course, all methods require being in an airtight container.

The avocados on our tree will be ready to pick in the next 2-4 weeks. They still have to ripen and soften once picked, which usually takes about a week or so, but if picked too soon the only thing they will do is basically rot and never get soft.

I think Caslon was making a suggestion. Oil and water-based liquids don't stay mixed, so that wouldn't work.

Didn't write that it would, only wrote guessed you could. Big difference.

And no, I don't think it was a suggestion since a ? was used. Each to their own opinion, only the OP knows.

Didn't write that it would, only wrote guessed you could. Big difference.

And no, I don't think it was a suggestion since a ? was used. Each to their own opinion, only the OP knows.

No need to take it so personally. You guessed you could, I said why it wouldn't work. That's just having a conversation, no?

I'm a self-admitted gadget junkie. (Needless to say that I always have a box of donations for charity!) I received this item and it works GREAT to save avocados. I find it saves the seed side best - perhaps it is because the seed helps hold it in place.

818908darlL._SL1500_.jpg

Here's an article with some truly helpful tips on keeping a cut avocado from going brown instead of the myth still being perpetuated about leaving the pit in.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/how-to-keep-an-avocado-from-browning-97168129553.html

The article mentions brushing the cut surface with olive oil or lemon juice, and surprisingly enough placing the avocado (cut-side UP) on a bed of freshly chopped red onion. The theory behind that being the vapors the onion emits keeping the avocado from browning. Of course, all methods require being in an airtight container.

The avocados on our tree will be ready to pick in the next 2-4 weeks. They still have to ripen and soften once picked, which usually takes about a week or so, but if picked too soon the only thing they will do is basically rot and never get soft.
On rare occasions when I've found myself out of lemons I've used a sheet of clingfilm (the tacky stuff you cover things in the 'fridge or the /wave - don't know what it's called over there) directly on the cut surface. It works 'til next day but lemon juice is best. Unfortunately, some types of clingfilm are unsuitable for use in contact with oily or fatty foods.

Im not sure about an avocado half, but after I make guacamole , I spray the top with pam or some other spray oil. Just a light coat, but keeps it from turning brown.

I miss having fruit trees out back.
What do you do with all those avocado's? They all ripen at once?

I miss having fruit trees out back.
What do you do with all those avocado's? They all ripen at once?

None of them ripen until the come off the tree, either fall off or are picked. Avocados don't ripen on the tree. We give a lot away.

I have a sure fire trick for keeping guacamole green: vitamin C (ascorbic acid). Long ago, my sister-in-law turned me on to a product made by Ball canning called "Fruit Fresh" that you could sprinkle on apples, artichokes, eggplant, and other fruits/vegetables that oxidize easily. It works great on guacamole, too.

It turns out that the active ingredient in Fruit Fresh is ascorbic acid. Being a winemaker, I almost always have food grade ascorbic acid in my workshop (it can be readily purchased at any wine/brew supply shop). So I simply add about a half teaspoon to two cups of guac and it stays bright green for about 3 days. Plus, the added vitamin C can't be all bad for you, either.

I have a sure fire trick for keeping guacamole green: vitamin C (ascorbic acid). Long ago, my sister-in-law turned me on to a product made by Ball canning called "Fruit Fresh" that you could sprinkle on apples, artichokes, eggplant, and other fruits/vegetables that oxidize easily. It works great on guacamole, too.

It turns out that the active ingredient in Fruit Fresh is ascorbic acid. Being a winemaker, I almost always have food grade ascorbic acid in my workshop (it can be readily purchased at any wine/brew supply shop). So I simply add about a half teaspoon to two cups of guac and it stays bright green for about 3 days. Plus, the added vitamin C can't be all bad for you, either.

Great tip! Thanks!

I get big avocados, when I take one to work, I cut it in half, remove the pit and turn cut side down in an airtight plastic container. I am able to keep it for two days without it browning. I only eat half a day.

For the most part, this is a non problem for me. An avocado, once cut, has little chance or remaining uneaten here long enough to turn.

But a couple of weeks ago, I did serve an opening dish to precede tortilla soup to eight people. The dish was avocados, halves and shelled, with the seed space filled with a goat cheese and orange juice and zest mix. They had to sit for a while (unreliable guests). I dipped each half in a solution of lemon juice and water before setting aside to await filling. They did fine. So that's the ascorbic acid measure I guess.

you have a tree.

how many buckley things do you have? :cool:

need any pasta measurers? :)

I had a tree....I traded it for snow! :wub:

I recently got a pasta measure thingie from work as a prize from our "healthiest loser" group. :ROFLMAO:

I love gadgets!

IF I still had my tree, I would only need ONE cuz I cut them one at a time. ;)

Back
Top Bottom