"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Cook

+1 on smoked paprika. Returning from Yellowstone this fall the bride and I stopped in Boise to visit the Basque district (bit of a let down but we still enjoyed it). Talked hard to get her to pick up some smoked paprika but she gave in after 5 seconds or so. Finally used it on a roasted chicken now we are just looking for another excuse.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
GG. Who is DH? And yes, I do keep smoked paprika on hand at all times.
DH = dear husband. You might also see people use DW, DS, DD, etc., for other dear family members

Old 11-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Master Chef

I've done them in the oven, tightly foiled, but only 2 hours at 350F, then sauce and finish unfoiled in the oven or outdoor grill. Total cook time, about 2.5 hrs.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

My father used to do oven ribs and they came out great. I asked him his method and it was just the opposite of the rest of the known world. I don't remember times or temps, but he roasts them uncovered first, then adds his sauce and covers them to finish.
Tasty...
Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Okay. Update. They came out fabulous. No pictures though.

I put them on a sheet pan wrapped in the same foil they had been resting in. 3.0 hours at 250.
Open up the foil and poured the drippings into a glass measuring cup with some BBQ sauce.
Returned to the broiler until nice and brown, slathering sauce and shaking liquid smoke on them.
I could not turn them over as they were too tender.

Removed from oven and covered them back up in the foil.
They were excellent with the exception they might have been to tender.
Next time I will not cook for 3 hours.
I will cook for two hours at 250 and check to see if they can be lifted without breaking.

I served homemade garlic bread, cole slaw and baked beans.

Thanks everyone. MDW loved them.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Contrary to popular opinion, ribs should not be "falling off the bone". Look for the meat to shrink back from the ends of the ribs and feel a little loose in the meat.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Sounds awesome RB. Glad it worked out for you. Maybe next time drop the temp down to 225F and keep the same time.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Contrary to popular opinion, ribs should not be "falling off the bone". Look for the meat to shrink back from the ends of the ribs and feel a little loose in the meat.
I have had them many ways and I prefer falling off the bone. I braise mine covered in a about half of an inch of watered down tomato juice and a few garlic cloves, liquid smoke and some bbq rub or Monreal steak spice. Then, they are well done(after about an hour at 300) I finish them on a rack for another hour while saucing them liberally with a sweet/spicey home made sauce.
Then, I use a vinegary style hot sauce like Texas Pete. The whole sweet/salty/tangy/spicey combo is very nice...
Old 11-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This has been my opinion as well. I usually use my outdoor smoker and they never get this tender. I can always pick them up with tongs.
I do like a little bite to my ribs. This along with the true smoke flavor makes for an excellent rack of ribs.

But yesterday proved, preconceived notions are not always correct.
They came out much better than expected.
I think my wife liked them better than the ones I cook outside.

So in the winter, we have fall off the bones savory ribs in sweet BBQ sauce.
When the weather permits, we will have smoked ribs that do not fall off the bone and enjoy them that way as well.

Thanks Again Everyone.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
Master Chef

As far as the foiled slabs being too tender to handle out of the oven, I cut my slabs in half then foil them individually before cooking. They're more manageable this way.

I don't care for 'fall-off-the-bone' ribs but ribs foiled and done in the oven always tend to come out this way for me. My family loves it.
I personally prefer a firmer bite and pull which I get from not foiling them when done in smokers, outdoor, for instance.

Tags
ribs