Baby Back Ribs Inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My father sliced the rack into 2-3 bone pieces. It worked out well since the flavoring came from the rub and the sauce, more meat was exposed than leaving them in big pieces. And it guaranteed you'd be going back for seconds and thirds...

Contrary to popular opinion, ribs should not be "falling off the bone". Look for the meat to shrink back from the ends of the ribs and feel a little loose in the meat.

I have heard that from more than one pro chef. When they are falling off the bone, they are starting to dry out. :angel:

What kind of BBQ do you guys use on your Ribs? I've cooked ribs once & they didn't turn out as good as expected. And no where near, like the restaurants taste.

A sauce of some substance

Mike was driving home to LA from a business trip to Kansas City. In Arizona he sees an elderly man walking on the side of the road. He stops and asks if he would like a ride.
With a silent nod of thanks, the elder got into the car.
Driving on, Mike tries in vain to make a bit of small talk with the man. The old man just sat silently, looking intently at everything he saw, studying every little detail, until he noticed a brown bag on the seat next to Mike.
"What in bag?" asked the old man.
Mike looked down at the brown bag and said, "It's a bottle of barbecue sauce from Arthur Bryant's. I got it for my wife."
The old timer was silent for another moment or two. Then speaking with quiet wisdom, he said:
"Good trade..."

--

This is a regional list of bbq sauce types. Not sure how accurate it is, but it's written by a guy who looks like he likes his BBQ

Barbecue Sauce Recipes: The 12 American barbecue sauce types

As far as store bought sauces, I like Bone Suckin' Sauce the best. It's sort of a sweet sour flavor, less sweet than Sweet Baby Ray's. Google up and see where it's sold nearest you. It's elusive. My 2nd best is Famous Dave's Original I have to spiff both my fave's with a shake of Tiger Sauce which is sweet hot peppery Asian type sauce, not a bbq sauce, and sometimes I add a shot of vinegar.

What kind of BBQ do you guys use on your Ribs? I've cooked ribs once & they didn't turn out as good as expected. And no where near, like the restaurants taste.

Ribs are one of those things that you need to practice. With the variety of ingredients in rubs and sauces, they can come out differently every time ;)

I like Kraft Original bbq sauce, but I always add some red-wine vinegar to it. Sweet Baby Ray's was on sale recently, so I got a couple bottles of that and DH likes it. Good luck :)

As far as the foiled slabs being too tender to handle out of the oven, I cut my slabs in half then foil them individually before cooking. They're more manageable this way.

I don't care for 'fall-off-the-bone' ribs but ribs foiled and done in the oven always tend to come out this way for me. My family loves it.
I personally prefer a firmer bite and pull which I get from not foiling them when done in smokers, outdoor, for instance.

I always try to cook whole slabs of any type pork rib.. But the idea to cut in half sounds reasonable to do when cooking them indoors and covered.
It is very possible I could have picked up a half a rack and turned them over.

I have heard that from more than one pro chef. When they are falling off the bone, they are starting to dry out. :angel:

Maybe, but the "falling off the bone" ribs I made were succulent. Much more juicy and tender than the ones I make outside. If I could get this texture outside, I would be very happy.
Besides when they are wrapped in foil, they are not drying out. Just like a pot roast does not dry out.
I do see the point if you are open cooking them.

I use cheap "Sweet Baby Rays". I get two giant bottles at Costco for very little money.
I always kick up my BBQ sauce, so the base sauce is not that important to me. I try to stay away from "hickory" or other wood flavored sauces as I am going to change its taste some.

Never use a finishing sauce while cooking. Learn the difference.
Most any cheap sweet BBQ sauce is fine for cooking with. But vinegary spicy finishing sauces should be served at the table for well, dipping.

I did baby backs last night, tightly foiled in the oven for 2 hours and finished over a grill, basting with BBQ sauce & rib dripping mixture.
I followed Jamie Gwen's Rib Fest recipe and thus far the ribs have turned out great the several times I've done this. The only alteration to her recipe is that I didn't add any fluids in the foil with the ribs.

Here's a pic from last night's cook:

Attachments

• P1070429.JPG
    P1070429.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 183
How come major chain supermarkets in the USA no longer stock baby back ribs? $$$?

This is not the case in the Northeast. I can get baby backs at the supermarket and at Costco (also spareribs and St. Louis style).

The 3 major chains in my CA area don't. Ralphs, Albertsons, Vons, They have Farmer Johns Pork Ribs (no mention of baby on the package). They're a lot bigger compared to the size of a rack in packaged precooked brands such as Lloyds, Tony Romo, etc.

So...I dunno why.

Last edited:
Hmm.....I just bought Farmer John loin backs at Vons, on sale this week, for $2.99/lb.
The label on the cryo package says Loin Backs. You'll rarely see them labeled as "baby backs"

Check Vons on-line ad for this week....it's there advertised as "Meaty Loin Back Ribs"

Last edited:
Hmm.....I just bought Farmer John loin backs at Vons, on sale this week, for $2.99/lb.
The label on the cryo package says Loin Backs. You'll rarely see them labeled as "baby backs"

Check Vons on-line ad for this week....it's there advertised as "Meaty Loin Back Ribs"

I know of those. They're not exactly baby sized at all, and they're all I've seen for sale. Not at all the smaller sized racks LLoyds makes. I bought some to crock pot one time and couldn't get but 1/4 of the rack in the pot. Way too big a rib bones. Tonight I saw thatAlbertsons had their own brand ribs, a bit smaller than Farmer Johns, but still bigger than I've come to expect. Those too were labeled "pork loin ribs".

Ah well.

Last edited:

Next time you browse there , molest a pack of pre-cooked brand Lloyds ribs. Notice the ribs are a lot smaller? Now go and size up the rib bones of Farmer Johns brand size. Do you see any difference? I want to say, thanks and also nevermind, hahaha.

I suppose...here in this area, true babyback ribs (frozen or no) aren't in demand enough to stock them. Anyone seen the price of Lloyds pre-cooked ribs? Notice how petite the rib bones are, and lots of meat off to the side? I don't see those type pork ribs being sold here now.

I bet it has something to do with growing animals larger before slaughter. Smaller sized pork ribs are just too much a waste...grow the animal a bit larger may be what's happening.

Lamb, and chicken and pigs. Animals are now being grown more for their meat output.

Last edited:
I think Lloyd's probably trims their rib ends off to make a neater package. I wouldn't use Lloyd's as the standard for ribs. Talk to the meat manager about it. He should be happy to help.

Usually, restaurant baby backs are much smaller in size. I think the Tony Romas' chain source their own ribs for size and consistency, and they probably raise their own hogs.

The only time I've seen similarly sized ribs in major supermarkets were frozen ones from Denmark, in 10 lb cartons, priced at only $1/lb. These slabs were small. And it's been a couple of years since I've last seen them.
I remember there was a huge discussion about these Danish ribs some time ago either here or at another BBQ site.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom