Baby Back Ribs Inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How come major chain supermarkets in the USA no longer stock baby back ribs? $$$?

I can get them in the supermarket and in Costco. Always available.

This is not the case in the Northeast. I can get baby backs at the supermarket and at Costco (also spareribs and St. Louis style).

I buy mine exclusively from Costco. The price is less than 1/2 of what they charge in the supermarket and they have more meat on them. They are beautiful and extremely meaty.

They St Louis cut is also very nice. Sometimes they are a bit to lean and you must be carfule when cooking them.

The baby backs are less than $3.00 a pound and the St Louis are 10 cents less a pound. Amazing price I must say.

The only time I've seen similarly sized ribs in major supermarkets were frozen ones from Denmark, in 10 lb cartons, priced at only $1/lb. These slabs were small. And it's been a couple of years since I've last seen them.
I remember there was a huge discussion about these Danish ribs some time ago either here or at another BBQ site.

Man, I wish those were for sale here. I bet ya anything that the reason you don't see smaller sized ribs for sale in a lot of places, is that, it's not economically viable anymore. That's my theory. Slaughtering younger pigs for their smaller sized ribs is probably a losing proposition compared to growing them larger.

Last edited:
Nice thing about Costco ribs is that the membrane is already removed from each slab, at least the baby backs and St. Louis cuts are, packaged by Swift.

Ours have no visible writing on the packages so its a mystery who packages them.
I guess I should look at the label? :LOL:

I loved the way they removed that long bone across the top on regular spareribs. Now they don't sell them anymore. Only St. Louis and baby backs. Its fine with me.

Last edited:
Regardless of who the distributor is are your Costco rib membranes been removed?

Last time I bought ribs at Costco, I got St. Louis and I had to remove the membrane.

No, the membranes were present on both the baby backs and the St. Louis.
I quit pulling it off anyway, unless it very thick and apparent.
I can't tell the difference with it or without it.

Update: I made ribs inside again and adjusted the cooking time to two hours at 250°F instead of three.
Next time it will be 2.5 hours at 250°F, then broil until nicely browned up.

They were very good, but need the extra 1/2 hour it seems.
There were no leftovers, so I assume the kids and grand kids enjoyed them.

Last edited:
I just posted my rib recipe, with the dry rub, on another rib post. Alter it by not using the grill, and by adding smoked paprika to the rub. You won't need a sauce, and will have fall-off-the bone tender ribs. Yo might want to open the foil and expose the ribs to the broiler for 5 minutes or so, just to dry the coating a bit.

Oh, and I'm going to have to try some of these other great looking recipes, just so that I can have other great tasting rib varieties. I'm all about variety.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Roll_Bones
Just found your message in the nick of time.
looking over the thread now and will take some suggestions for cooking this afternoon
thanks for picking up on my original message
ted

Costco has great meat products.One of my sons is a manager in waltham,ma.
prices are better and the quality is very good if not the best.
More importantly, the founder has a great deal of respect for his employee's and takes care of them well.

Last edited:
Costco has great meat products.One of my sons is a manager in waltham,ma.
prices are better and the quality is very good if not the best.
More importantly, the founder has a great deal of respect for his employee's and takes care of them well.

Well said. Your son has a career if he wants one at Costco.
Funny how Costco can pay a living wage to their employees and other stores cannot or will not.

No, the membranes were present on both the baby backs and the St. Louis.
I quit pulling it off anyway, unless it very thick and apparent.
I can't tell the difference with it or without it.

Update: I made ribs inside again and adjusted the cooking time to two hours at 250°F instead of three.
Next time it will be 2.5 hours at 250°F, then broil until nicely browned up.

They were very good, but need the extra 1/2 hour it seems.
There were no leftovers, so I assume the kids and grand kids enjoyed them.

Tonight I cooked my tightly foiled and highly seasoned rib portions at 250 degrees for 2.5 hrs, without any liquid. I drained off the liquid that developed and brushed both sides with "Jack Daniel's Master Blend" sauce and broiled them on each side for 5 minutes. They were without a doubt, the best ribs we've ever had anywhere! The meat was perfectly cooked with just the "slightest" bit of resistance from the bone, just the way we like them. You are so right...the time and temp is perfect!

Tonight I cooked my tightly foiled and highly seasoned rib portions at 250 degrees for 2.5 hrs, without any liquid. I drained off the liquid that developed and brushed both sides with "Jack Daniel's Master Blend" sauce and broiled them on each side for 5 minutes. They were without a doubt, the best ribs we've ever had anywhere! The meat was perfectly cooked with just the "slightest" bit of resistance from the bone, just the way we like them. You are so right...the time and temp is perfect!

They do come out very good this way. You are quickly becoming my favorite member!
I am an outdoor rib guy and always suffered through the winter without my favorite BBQ recipes.
When I made these inside using this method, my wife said they were better than the ones I make outside in my smoker.
I now know what i have been doing wrong all these years outside.
Cooking with to high a heat.

If I can just apply this principle to my smoker, I am certain I can improve the final product.
It seems an electric smoker would work so much better as temp control is paramount.

My father sliced the rack into 2-3 bone pieces. It worked out well since the flavoring came from the rub and the sauce, more meat was exposed than leaving them in big pieces. And it guaranteed you'd be going back for seconds and thirds...

I used your Dad's idea Pac, and it worked out perfectly for my Super Bowl ribs.

I used a 24 hr rub on them of lots of smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder, cumin and Kosher salt. The smoked paprika made all the difference, and I could not tell the difference from outdoor ribs.

Last edited:
Thanks. Your suggestions have now given me enough to experiment some.

I am going to bake them on low heat 225-250°f covered with foil for a few hours.
I will then uncover them, baste them with BBQ sauce, the drippings and LS as I brown them up under the broiler. I may forgo the LS as these ribs are so garlicky. I might even skip the BBQ sauce altogether and go more towards a mojo.
Lots to think about here......LOl But at least i have several options.

GG. Who is DH? And yes, I do keep smoked paprika on hand at all times.

Thanks everyone. I will take a picture of the results.
As little as I like children I find the thought of "baby back ribs" faintly distressing.

Seriously though, what are baby back ribs? Are they those cut off ones about 21/2-3inches long. I think I've seen those labelled as "short ribs" over here. Beef or pork?

MC, "baby back ribs" are just the ribs from a smaller hog "market size". ;)

I believe baby back ribs are from the upper part of the rib near the back bone. Spare ribs are the lower, fuller, part.

I don't think size of the pig has anything to do with it.

I believe baby back ribs are from the upper part of the rib near the back bone. Spare ribs are the lower, fuller, part.

I don't think size of the pig has anything to do with it.

Correctamundo! Pork ribs as shown.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 165
As little as I like children I find the thought of "baby back ribs" faintly distressing.

Seriously though, what are baby back ribs? Are they those cut off ones about 21/2-3inches long. I think I've seen those labelled as "short ribs" over here. Beef or pork?

I snorted my Pepsi over that one. :LOL::LOL:

Great graphic Andy! I prefer #3 over #1.

Back
Top Bottom