Baby Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SugarPlums

Assistant Cook
Hi guys,
Hope you can help me out with this Unusual Question.
We have just had our 2nd baby 14 years after our first & I don't understand the Baby milk.The Mid-Wife tells us that when we pour say 4-5oz of boiling water in to the Milk bottle we then add the 4-5 spoonfuls of Powdered milk, But what gets me is that the Mid-Wife says when you place the Locking cap over the Milk bottle you leave it to cool down & then place in the Fridge.As a chef I thought the Idea was to make sure Steam escapes from the bottle to stop the milk from turning & also the quicker it cools down the safer it is to eat/drink?

Any help more than welcome....thx

SugarPlums, I don't know where you live but my experience as a Pediatric nurse, we never mixed powdered formula with boiling water. The water should be boiled then let cool to room temperature before adding the powder. The boiling is just to remove some of the impurities from the water. Adding the powder to boiling water may actually degrade some of the nutrients. The water should be brought just to boil and not left to boil long as this may affect the volume of water you have to mix.

Hope this answers your questions and Congratualtions on your new family member.

Welcome to DC and hope you find it a nice place to visit.

I agree, the water is first boiled, then cooled. There should be directions on the package of formula (baby milk) as to how to mix it.

We never were told to use boiled water. Our doctor told us to use regular tap water.

As for steam escaping using your method, wouldn't it escape through the nipple? The pressure would build a bit, but since the nipple is not sealed it could release from there.

Congrats on the birth of your baby!

Actually, we only used boiled water for maybe the first week. But then, we live in a part of the world where we have safe drinking water right at the tap. I filled many a bottle by scooping the powder into the bottle, filling it under the tap, putting on the lid, and shake...

Most communities with water treatment systems the tap water is safe but if you are using well water, it is still recommended to boil it first. Depends on where you get your water.

Hi,
Sorry about the loooong reply as long day at work.I live in the UK & yes we have Tap water lol. I can understand boiling the water to kill any/most Bacteria, But what I can't get my head around is that with the Milk bottle you also get a Cap that fits over the Tit & locks.This is to stop Airborne Bacteria from getting on the tit & I can understand that but can't understand how it would be Safe to give a Newborn food that has been concealed in a airtight bottle over a period of time.Yes as some of you have suggested it would be better to heat the kettle & let it cool for about 20-30mins & then add it to the Milk bottle.Thanks for all your Advice Guys/Girls & no doubt I'll be back with not as a unusual question the next time.

I say do what you understand is right, as a chef you know more about cooking than midwife. Just be carefull.

You should only make enough baby milk for 24 hours at most. It is not something you want sitting in the fridge longer than that. With powder, you can mix small amounts at a time until you get a better idea of how much you will use in a day.

You should follow the directions of the container of

powdered milk. Only from there will you get the correct way to mix.
Every brand may have a slightly different concentration. Also 26 years ago when my son was born I was told that there was no need to boil the water since I had a municipal supply not a well. They still do not recommend boiling the water in my area. Just read the label.

That was a task that my wife and I would fight over who had to do it. Eventually I ended up fuguring out how many ounces we would need for 1 day with one extra bottle. I then bought a pitcher that size and sterilized it then mixed it all in that and then poured it into bottles. We used boiled water that had cooled down.

Try to keep things clean but if you are a fanatic about it (disinfecting everything in the house) you actually end up hurting your kids by not letting their immune system get a workout.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom