Bacon clanger a disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BML

Assistant Cook
I wanted to cook a Bacon Clanger so I bought some bacon pieces and found a couple or recipes but the result was a disaster.
This might have been because the bacon pieces which I thought were bits and pieces of bacon rashers were actually large bits of bacon, I don’t know if that made a difference.
I wrapped the mixture in greece proof paper and then a washing up cloth tied at each end and twice in the middle placing it in a fish kettle and keeping it topped up with boiling water.
The end result was a slightly soggy not very tasty thing and it was nothing like the last one I cooked a good few years past which I’m sure finished up with a crust on it.
I’m going to have another go but this time I will buy some bacon rashers and cook it in a bowl. Any sugestions would be welcome.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

When I cook bacon, I do it in the oven or toaster oven over a rack, a pound at a time. Bits and pieces I'll do in a skillet, then drain.

Do you have the recipe you're trying to make?

Last edited:
I have no idea what a bacon clanger is. I do know that boiling bacon is not very good. It looks raw but its cooked. Its weird.

I'm obviously on the wrong Forum. A bacon clanger is a British dish made by making some pastry with self raising flour mixed with suet rolling it out to about 12 inches by 20 inches. Sprinkling chopped up bacon rashers cut into small pieces with a chopped onion on top and then rolling it into a thick sausage shape, wrapping it in greece proof paper supported by wrapping that in a muslin cloth and then steaming it for about three hours.

I'm obviously on the wrong Forum. A bacon clanger is a British dish made by making some pastry with self raising flour mixed with suet rolling it out to about 12 inches by 20 inches. Sprinkling chopped up bacon rashers cut into small pieces with a chopped onion on top and then rolling it into a thick sausage shape, wrapping it in greece proof paper supported by wrapping that in a muslin cloth and then steaming it for about three hours.

Well, this is s North American site and the majority of the members are Canadian or American. But, I would think that wrapping it in grease-proof paper contributed to your disaster since it kept all the grease in. Steaming it is also going to keep it from forming a crust.

We have a few members from the UK. Maybe one of them will come along and have a suggestion for you.

I wanted to cook a Bacon Clanger so I bought some bacon pieces and found a couple or recipes but the result was a disaster.
This might have been because the bacon pieces which I thought were bits and pieces of bacon rashers were actually large bits of bacon, I don’t know if that made a difference.
I wrapped the mixture in greece proof paper and then a washing up cloth tied at each end and twice in the middle placing it in a fish kettle and keeping it topped up with boiling water.
The end result was a slightly soggy not very tasty thing and it was nothing like the last one I cooked a good few years past which I’m sure finished up with a crust on it.
I’m going to have another go but this time I will buy some bacon rashers and cook it in a bowl. Any sugestions would be welcome.

Welcome.

I've spent some time in the UK and what you describe sounds something like a Bacon Badger, although I believe those are actually baked, rather than steamed. Maybe that's the difference.

Honestly, I've never really been a fan of the steamed pudding sort of dishes, although I do realize it's a traditional English cooking method. I just feel that if you're going to take the time to make a nice pastry dough and wrap something up in it, you might as well pop it into an oven and get some brown on the crust.

We do have some British members on the forum. The two I can think of off the top of my head are Domestic Goddess (?) and Mad Cook, who visit somewhat frequently.

Last edited:
You don't appear to know what a Bacon Clanger is.

I had to Google it. We don't have anything like it over here, if the description I read is correct.

"The Buckinghamshire Bacon clanger is a boiled or baked pudding made from suet pastry with a filling made of bacon, onion and potatoes with seasoning."

I read a little about the history of it, and over here, we had a working man's food called a pastie, that miners ate. I still make them, from time-to-time. That is of Irish origin, I believe. Below is a picture of one I made a while back.

The way you cooked your bacon, I'm not surprised it was soggy.

That's all I got.

CD

Attachments

• MP003.jpg
    MP003.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
I'm obviously on the wrong Forum.

When it comes to this particular food item, you may be on the wrong forum. It is just not something most of us are familiar with.

I don't say that in a mean way -- I'm not trying to chase you away. I'm just not sure we can help you.

Hopefully someone will chime in who knows about bacon clangers.

If you ever want to make a proper American cheeseburger, we can overload you with information. :chef:

CD

No a Bacon clanger is a steamed long dumpling! That is at least what I gotten in Scotland by my mother in law!

Or do you mean Buckinghamshire Bacon Clanger? Or Bacon Badger with mussy peas?

I read a little about the history of it, and over here, we had a working man's food called a pastie, that miners ate. I still make them, from time-to-time. That is of Irish origin, I believe. Below is a picture of one I made a while back.
Not Irish. Pasties originated in Cornwall, in the UK.

Please remember to REPORT posts that you take exception to. This allows DC to show their best side to all members, new and old.

Would you care to enlighten us, so maybe we could be of help?
Don't worry chaps. You aren't on your own. I'm English and had to look it up! It's a regional thing. The Bedfordshire clanger has savoury in one end and sweet in the other, in common with other types of "snap" . ("Snap" being a regional nickname for a workman's packed lunch).

Back
Top Bottom