"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My BIL, who lives outside the Chicago area, insists that one does not need to rinse out cans, bottles, etc. for recycling. Guess it depends on the area. I recycle rinsed and clean stuff.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Once again you save me the research and response.

Same in my area. Nothing contaminated with food is supposed to go in our recycling bins.
I've answered this question here at least twice before

Old 05-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My BIL, who lives outside the Chicago area, insists that one does not need to rinse out cans, bottles, etc. for recycling. Guess it depends on the area. I recycle rinsed and clean stuff.
A number of the men I know, including Stirling, think it's kinda annoying and stupid to have to wash garbage.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Our recycling service asks us to do a light rinse. Not clean but get out most of the food residue. I tend to clean recycle as we store it in the house and periodically empty into the bin outdoors. Clean recycle doesn't attract bugs and doesn't smell.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Once again you save me the research and response.

Same in my area. Nothing contaminated with food is supposed to go in our recycling bins.
Does that mean that you wash your cans before tossing them in the bin?

When we had Waste Management in Denver, everything went into a single bin, paper, plastic, glass, steel and aluminum. Aside from a quick rinse, we never worried about cleaning any of it.

Now we only get paper and aluminum recycling out here in the boondocks, so it's not really an issue. Really messed up foil I toss, but if it's just minor stuff I recycle it. Foil that hasn't been contaminated with the first use gets reused before it's tossed.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Aluminum foil can be recycled with the tin cans, our recycling station here takes it.
They showed on TV, what happened to all the trash after Katrina hit NO, of the homes that were torn down and other trash items. They have a HUGE magnet that picks up all the metal. You could see pieces of foil in that pile. What the magnet didn't get, the workers pulled out the metal including the foil as it went up on the moving table in front of the workers. I have no problem with using foil. I know it will be recycled. So it does not become part of the landfill. And here in Boston, we are encouraged to toss the foil into the bin along with the cans.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I was actually starting to feel guilty for starting this thread that encourages more foil use.
Foil is one of the items that get recycled in the majority of landfills. Specially if you live in a big city. We have a list of the wall of the trash and recycle room of what we should be recycling. Foil is on that list. No guilt required!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

In a very large city, not every home is equipped with a garbage disposal. As a result, food along with recyclable items get tossed with the rest of the trash. In a lot of apartments here in Boston, the kitchen cannot hold three or four containers for the different items to be recycled. It just isn't possible. And here in Boston, we have a lot of people who do not speak or read English. Boston does it best in providing information in several languages. I have seen those direction and information sheets that are handed out. In this building, we are asked to recycle heavy cardboard in one container and metal of all kinds in another. And unfortunately, our recycle room is on the first floor. That is quite a walk to the elevator down to the first floor and down at the end of the hall to the recycle room. Too much walking while carrying awkward items for a lot of the residents. Someone forgot that it would be "elderly' living here. So a lot of the residents here do not recycle.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Does that mean that you wash your cans before tossing them in the bin?
It depends on how dirty it is. Most of the time rinsing is good enough. They used to say no pizza boxes in the recycling, but now they say you can include pizza boxes with no food on them.

Aluminium foil that has been used in the oven to keep something else clean would require scrubbing to be food free. They used to say not to recycle aluminium foil, but now they say it can be recycled if it is clean.

N.B., I'm talking about the recycling in my city.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Bacon in the oven, updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'd been thinking of BLETCH, but it doesn't sound so appetizing, so since I always prefer Swiss as the cheese, I come up with BELTS.

I dunno, Z, BLETCH sounds fine to me! BELTS works too.

Tags
bacon, oven