"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Foil is one of the items that get recycled in the majority of landfills. Specially if you live in a big city. We have a list of the wall of the trash and recycle room of what we should be recycling. Foil is on that list. No guilt required!
Addie, landfills, by their very definition, do not recycle anything. Stuff is dumped into them and buried forever.

Using foil, like many other commodities, requires more aluminum to be mined, purified, manufactured, packaged and distributed. Using the minimum required reduces the energy required to replace all that. Not to mention the associated costs to the planet.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #42
Master Chef

BLETCH is good

I like avocado and sprouts with my BLT's, that way I can have a BLAST.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
BLETCH is good

I like avocado and sprouts with my BLT's, that way I can have a BLAST.

I'd like a BLAST too!
Old 05-23-2015, 02:15 AM   #44
Master Chef

Our recycling doesn't take foil or pizza boxes. I do wash things out because, like Andy pointed out, clean recycling doesn't smell. It's not like I use fresh water for the recycling, I just use the "grey" water in the sink after I clean up the couple of items that I don't put into the dishwasher. Himself's cousin in PA will actually put all her recycled glass and cans into the dishwasher. Why? Because her husband wants them washed!

I'm a heathen. IF I need the bacon grease in the recipe I'm currently preparing, I'll fry out what I need, remove to the side to add back, and continue using the fat. IF I don't need the fat, I nuke the bacon between pieces of paper toweling. Sometimes I'll nuke more that I need right then so I can add some crumbled bacon to salad or scrambled eggs in a day or two. But usually I cook bacon to order.

And now I should probably go flog myself.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Caslon, you must spend a fortune on foil.
The cost of foil used in that earlier post of mine wasn't $0.15 each time, but rather $0.05 per use. Hardly a fortune.

And who the HELL! recycles used aluminum foil with baked on BBQ sauce or other baked on foods? I mean...come on!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
The cost of foil used in that earlier post of mine wasn't $0.15 each time, but rather $0.05 per use. Hardly a fortune.

And who the HELL! recycles used aluminum foil with baked on BBQ sauce or other baked on foods? I mean...come on!
Well, frequently they don't, since many recycling centers don't take foil contaminated with food. My point is that using cooking spray and a little elbow grease, as Andy does, works just as well, doesn't cost anything and is less wasteful. But in this country, many of us are conditioned to taking the physically easy way (not talking about those with physical limitations). And then we go to the gym for exercise - go figure :confused:
Old 05-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well, frequently they don't, since many recycling centers don't take foil contaminated with food. My point is that using cooking spray and a little elbow grease, as Andy does, works just as well, doesn't cost anything and is less wasteful. But in this country, many of us are conditioned to taking the physically easy way (not talking about those with physical limitations). And then we go to the gym for exercise - go figure :confused:
I don't even use cooking spray. I've heard that the refillable bottles get badly clogged. I don't want to use the throwaway bottles. I use a few drops of oil and spread it around with a silicone pastry brush. Easy peasy.

How about the folks who drive to the gym and drive around the parking lot until they find a space near the entrance. Wouldn't want to have to walk a bit farther from the car.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #48
Certified Pretend Chef

Just about everything we do adds to our carbon footprint. If we're not using foil, we're using more oil, soap and hot water. This is a thread about cooking bacon in the oven. All methods are viable.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just about everything we do adds to our carbon footprint. If we're not using foil, we're using more oil, soap and hot water. This is a thread about cooking bacon in the oven. All methods are viable.
The voice of reason. Enough preaching - lets get back to bacon!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Have you got something to contribute, RP?

Tags
bacon, oven