Bacon in the oven, updated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks interesting but more trouble than the way I do it.

First I always cut the whole package of thick sliced bacon in half for easier handling. Add just a couple of tablespoons of water to a cold skillet and lay the half bacon slices in the cold skillet. Fry on med. heat till the water disappears, the bacon will lay flat and never curl and doesn't splatter. Turn the bacon over and continue cooking till it's done the way you like it.

Ah but yes, were're talking oven baked bacon. I'd think oven cooking bacon IS the way to go if you're cooking bacon for more than 2 people.

I'm still trying to perfect my aluminum foil crimping to make it a drip broiler pan no clean-up kind of thing.

Last edited:
Ah but yes, were're talking oven baked bacon. I'd think oven cooking bacon IS the way to go if you're cooking bacon for more than 2 people.

I'm still trying to perfect my aluminum foil crimping to make it a drip broiler pan no clean-up kind of thing.

Save your foil and pick up a reusable cookie cooling rack at the dollar store.

I like to bake a pound of bacon and freeze it. You don't need to worry about thawing a strip, it thaws instantly when placed on top of a cheeseburger, BLT or crumbled over a salad. Baking also gives you a quantity of nice clean bacon fat without all the little brown bits floating around.

I have been cooking in oven for a longtime. I lay it out on a wire rack on top of a sheet pan. Comes out flat and perfectly crisp. I do 375 for 15 min, but that is my oven, you have to try to get you right time and temp. Only way to do it I think.

I just lay the bacon flat in a half sheet pan sprayed with Pam. One pound per pan. I usually do two at a time. When done, I remove the strips to paper towels and pat them with another paper towel to soak up grease. Easy peasy.

At first, I used a rack but that's way too much trouble to clean. I don't see me neatly folding foil as in the video. A waste of foil.

I let the bacon fat cool enough to handle and either add it to my bacon fat collection or pour it into the trash. Some dish soap and hot water in the pans, soak. They clean up easily with a blue scrubber sponge.

Roll up leftover bacon in a strip of paper towel and stick it in a freezer bag for freezing.

I foil a pan, lay bacon across a grate (it's really a baker's cooking rack, but it fits right into my sheet pan). Pop into a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 450F. It's perfectly done in 20-25 minutes.

Last edited:
Save your foil and pick up a reusable cookie cooling rack at the dollar store.

Aunt Bea, that is exactly what I do. I take my unique sized square cooling rack and set it in one of those aluminum foil square backing pans. I first line the bottom of the disposable foil pan with foil, then set my square cooling rack inside. I then pull out a sheet of foil that's a bit longer than my foil baking pan and press it down in between each rung on the cooling rack. After that I take my fryer thermometer with it's sharp point and punch holes in the V's between each rung. I use it for baking chicken parts (oven B-B-Q chicken, etc). There's no baked on mess to clean up afterwards either, just toss the foil away and reuse the disposable foil baking pan again and again. You can do this with a disposable rectangle foil pan and a rectangular cooling rack too. I don't see my ancient square cooling rack for sale in stores these days. The only thing to be mindful of is that the foil baking pan will be a bit flimsy when you retrieve it from the oven, I use two oven pads to retrieve it.

1111.jpg

2222.jpg

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO::LOL: Doesn't anybody just cook a few slices at a time in a skillet besides me? If I cooked up pans of bacon I'd eat it all till it was gone! Forget chocolate, bacon is my candy.:pig:

A late nite snack of bbq wings using my no clean up foil and cooling rack method.

Pieces drizzled with olive oil, salted and peppered. 425F for 20 min. Removed from oven and coated with Kraft Thick 'N Spicy BBQ sauce, lowered the oven to 375F for another 20 min. Turned off the oven, opened the door for 1 minute, closed it and let them final cook for 10-15 min, mostly to let them keep warm.
It's nice not to have to scrub off left over baked on bbq sauce. I must have re-used that $0.79 foil pan a dozen times or more now.

P1010004.jpg

Last edited:
It all adds up. Fills up the landfill, too.

The thinnest foil you can buy makes crimping over the rungs easier than if you try and use heavy duty foil. Also, wadding up a few pieces of foil and placing them at the bottom before you set in the rack will keep the grease collection sheet of foil from rising up during cooking (it tends to due to heat).

Aluminum foil can be recycled with the tin cans, our recycling station here takes it.

:ROFLMAO::LOL: Doesn't anybody just cook a few slices at a time in a skillet besides me? If I cooked up pans of bacon I'd eat it all till it was gone! Forget chocolate, bacon is my candy.:pig:

You're not alone, KL. I usually cook up 8 half slices, just enough for a BLT or even a BELT (with medium egg) plus a nice slice of Swiss cheese (I haven't figured out an acronym for including the cheese:ermm:.

Bacon has so much salt, even the lower sodium that I usually buy that it's a few days before I can splurge on another BLT. I like a couple of half slices with a burger or chicken salad sandwich.

Because of the salt, I don't buy bacon every month, usually every 3 months or so.

*frantically adding bacon to my grocery list*:LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom