Bacon in the oven, updated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd been thinking of BLETCH, but it doesn't sound so appetizing, so since I always prefer Swiss as the cheese, I come up with BELTS.

I cook two pounds of bacon at a time because I find it more convenient. I only have to deal with the time spent and the cleanup once then If I feel like bacon on my cheeseburger, (and who doesn't) I can just take a few slices out of the freezer, nuke them and I'm ready to go. No pre-planning required.

That sounds like a better idea, Andy. Do you fry or bake?

If you bake, how do you do it?

I've been getting a lot of that nasty "script running" notices, so I was unable to view the video that Taxy posted.

That sounds like a better idea, Andy. Do you fry or bake?

If you bake, how do you do it?

I've been getting a lot of that nasty "script running" notices, so I was unable to view the video that Taxy posted.

Andy described his process earlier in the thread. I like this method.

I just lay the bacon flat in a half sheet pan sprayed with Pam. One pound per pan. I usually do two at a time. When done, I remove the strips to paper towels and pat them with another paper towel to soak up grease. Easy peasy.

At first, I used a rack but that's way too much trouble to clean. I don't see me neatly folding foil as in the video. A waste of foil.

I let the bacon fat cool enough to handle and either add it to my bacon fat collection or pour it into the trash. Some dish soap and hot water in the pans, soak. They clean up easily with a blue scrubber sponge.

Roll up leftover bacon in a strip of paper towel and stick it in a freezer bag for freezing.

I foil a pan, lay bacon across a grate (it's really a baker's cooking rack, but it fits right into my sheet pan). Pop into a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 450F. It's perfectly done in 20-25 minutes.
That's just how I like it and do it! Way to go Zereh!

Aluminum foil can be recycled with the tin cans, our recycling station here takes it.

Yeah. Aluminum foil is recyclable just like any other form of aluminum - thankfully because we use a lot of it. I almost always line a sheet pan with foil then spray with cooking spray before I bake any meats or veggies on it. I stocked up on foil at Sam's Club before we moved to the Bahamas, lived there 2 years, then brought the remainder back with us and still probably have enough to last the rest of my life. I have three of the 250 foot rolls of Reynolds Wrap, and when that runs out I have an unopened box of a big commercial kitchen roll, similar to the box of plastic wrap we use.

I'll have to try that oven method with the foil shaped over the rack.

Thanks, GG! I missed that one. I copied, pasted and printed the instructions. Now that I've added bacon to my grocery list I'll try his method out. Sounds nice and easy.

Aluminum foil can be recycled with the tin cans, our recycling station here takes it.

Not always. In my area, foil contaminated with food can't be recycled because the machinery can't clean it. http://www.earth911.com/recycling-guide/how-to-recycle-aluminum-foil/

Quote: " Do curbside recycling programs accept aluminum foil?

It depends. While aluminum foil is just as recyclable as aluminum cans, some programs aren’t equipped to process foil. Aluminum foil is also likely to be contaminated with food, a no-no for recycling most materials."

Last edited:
Not always. In my area, foil contaminated with food can't be recycled because the machinery can't clean it. How to Recycle Aluminum Foil - Earth911.com

Quote: " Do curbside recycling programs accept aluminum foil?

It depends. While aluminum foil is just as recyclable as aluminum cans, some programs aren’t equipped to process foil. Aluminum foil is also likely to be contaminated with food, a no-no for recycling most materials."
Once again you save me the research and response. :LOL:

Same in my area. Nothing contaminated with food is supposed to go in our recycling bins.

My BIL, who lives outside the Chicago area, insists that one does not need to rinse out cans, bottles, etc. for recycling. Guess it depends on the area. I recycle rinsed and clean stuff.

My BIL, who lives outside the Chicago area, insists that one does not need to rinse out cans, bottles, etc. for recycling. Guess it depends on the area. I recycle rinsed and clean stuff.
A number of the men I know, including Stirling, think it's kinda annoying and stupid to have to wash garbage. :ermm: :LOL:

Our recycling service asks us to do a light rinse. Not clean but get out most of the food residue. I tend to clean recycle as we store it in the house and periodically empty into the bin outdoors. Clean recycle doesn't attract bugs and doesn't smell.

Once again you save me the research and response. :LOL:

Same in my area. Nothing contaminated with food is supposed to go in our recycling bins.

Does that mean that you wash your cans before tossing them in the bin?

When we had Waste Management in Denver, everything went into a single bin, paper, plastic, glass, steel and aluminum. Aside from a quick rinse, we never worried about cleaning any of it.

Now we only get paper and aluminum recycling out here in the boondocks, so it's not really an issue. Really messed up foil I toss, but if it's just minor stuff I recycle it. Foil that hasn't been contaminated with the first use gets reused before it's tossed.

They showed on TV, what happened to all the trash after Katrina hit NO, of the homes that were torn down and other trash items. They have a HUGE magnet that picks up all the metal. You could see pieces of foil in that pile. What the magnet didn't get, the workers pulled out the metal including the foil as it went up on the moving table in front of the workers. I have no problem with using foil. I know it will be recycled. So it does not become part of the landfill. And here in Boston, we are encouraged to toss the foil into the bin along with the cans. :angel:

That's what I was thinking. I was actually starting to feel guilty for starting this thread that encourages more foil use. :ermm:

Foil is one of the items that get recycled in the majority of landfills. Specially if you live in a big city. We have a list of the wall of the trash and recycle room of what we should be recycling. Foil is on that list. No guilt required! :angel:

Last edited:
In a very large city, not every home is equipped with a garbage disposal. As a result, food along with recyclable items get tossed with the rest of the trash. In a lot of apartments here in Boston, the kitchen cannot hold three or four containers for the different items to be recycled. It just isn't possible. And here in Boston, we have a lot of people who do not speak or read English. Boston does it best in providing information in several languages. I have seen those direction and information sheets that are handed out. In this building, we are asked to recycle heavy cardboard in one container and metal of all kinds in another. And unfortunately, our recycle room is on the first floor. That is quite a walk to the elevator down to the first floor and down at the end of the hall to the recycle room. Too much walking while carrying awkward items for a lot of the residents. Someone forgot that it would be "elderly' living here. So a lot of the residents here do not recycle. :angel:

Does that mean that you wash your cans before tossing them in the bin?
It depends on how dirty it is. Most of the time rinsing is good enough. They used to say no pizza boxes in the recycling, but now they say you can include pizza boxes with no food on them.

Aluminium foil that has been used in the oven to keep something else clean would require scrubbing to be food free. They used to say not to recycle aluminium foil, but now they say it can be recycled if it is clean.

N.B., I'm talking about the recycling in my city.

I'd been thinking of BLETCH, but it doesn't sound so appetizing, so since I always prefer Swiss as the cheese, I come up with BELTS.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I dunno, Z, BLETCH sounds fine to me! BELTS works too.

Back
Top Bottom