Bad Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Food_D

Assistant Cook
Hi there,

I've just eaten a piece of chicken breast that has me worried.

I bought 4 schnitzel type chicken breasts (just chicken in breadcrumbs) from a local poultry provider who supplies directly from the farm and the products are usually top rate.

Today one of the 4 schnitzels shriveled up in a strange way which I didn't think much of til I started eating. My first bite I assumed was just gristly and fatty (unusual as they're never fatty) but even that wasn't a huge deal. Then in my second bite I realised something was wrong. The whole piece was the same. The meat seemed cooked and the others were fine but it was really tough, hard and rubbery, without flavour.

Any ideas why it could be and if its potentially dangerous? I've had poisoning off chicken before, years ago and don't ever want that experience again. I'm also off on holiday tomorrow.

Any ideas? My only thought is that with my fridge playing up that one was frozen when I put it in the oven bit the others were fine.

Cheers in advance and happy new year to all!

I should clarify that I swallowed the first bite and possibly the second. I threw the rest away

Spoiled chicken develops a bad smell, a bad taste, and a slimy texture. Spoilage doesn't cause a chewy texture. The problem may have been freezer burn, gristle, poor processing, overcooking, or many other things. Spoilage doesn't cause tough meat.

Your problem was either in the preparation/processing or in the cooking.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the response.
Freezer burn sounds plausible as does poor processing.

It wasn't the cooking process, and thats not me beimg arrogant, its just the way I've done it time & time again and the other three were fine.

Sorry for my ignorance on the topic but is there a possibility of getting ill should it be due to freezer burn or problems in the processing?

Last edited by a moderator:
One time I prepared some chicken thighs and they were the toughest, stringiest things I've ever had. I mean they were HARD. Cooked them just like I had always done and have done since when they came out perfectly fine and tender. I think there was just something wrong with that batch of chicken. Never had it happen before or since. They weren't spoiled or anything, just tough as cow hide.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the response.
Freezer burn sounds plausible as does poor processing.

It wasn't the cooking process, and thats not me beimg arrogant, its just the way I've done it time & time again and the other three were fine.

Sorry for my ignorance on the topic but is there a possibility of getting ill should it be due to freezer burn or problems in the processing?

No worries - freezer burn affects texture, not safety.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom