"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I love love love greek salads, still do.
So I go into labor, doc says, go out and eat and try to relax. I do. Later, I'm in the hospital and I'm nauseous, the intern tells me that I shall puke in this little dish. I told him, no, I need a big hefty bag. He is the doc, he says, no, I'm wrong. I threw up all over his white coat, oops.
Good for you.

I'll bet he learned a lesson that day.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Good for you.

I'll bet he learned a lesson that day.
lol Ah well, that's how it goes!

Old 10-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #13
Head Chef

Lately, Lay's Classic Potato chips have this awful hard crunch to many of their chips. They're normal looking and all, but when you bite into one, they're really overly hard and brittle. Also, in recent years, Lays has included chips that are grossly folded over, when as before, these folded over chips would have been eliminated from going to packaging. I went to Lay's site and filled out a complaint form they provide and filled in the package bar code, exp date, where and when I bought them, etc. This has been happening with the last two bags I've bought over the last couple of months. Same thing. Hard brittle chips that look normal. They're almost like kettle chips, but not in a good way.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Happened to me with fried liver with bacon and onions... except in my case the bug was already in me. I ate a nice meal of liver one evening, no probs. Went to bed and awoke a few hours later violently ill...barfed everywhere. I discovered the next day that a stomach flew was going around and it wasn't the food. Ever since then, even the smell of liver can trigger my gag reflex...
Old 10-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #15
Sous Chef

In 1989 one night I decided to buy a bite sized piece of filet mignon just to see how it tasted. I went into the ER later that same night for appendicitis and have never been tempted to sample filet mignon again.

A couple years ago I again ended up in the ER, this time with an aneurysm. Before surgery the next morning, one of the nurses offered to let me eat the last breakfast they had left - black bean chili. He didn't know I was going into surgery and I never thought twice about it because I was starved. So I ate the whole thing.

I think I was under for at least 4 hours and when I woke up and was being wheeled back to ICU, I felt like I had to throw up. One nurse quickly got me a pan but before she could get back to me, I already had thrown up all over me, the doctor, and the other nurses.

I will never, ever eat black bean anything again.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
A couple years ago I again ended up in the ER, this time with an aneurysm. Before surgery the next morning, one of the nurses offered to let me eat the last breakfast they had left - black bean chili. He didn't know I was going into surgery and I never thought twice about it because I was starved. So I ate the whole thing.

I think I was under for at least 4 hours and when I woke up and was being wheeled back to ICU, I felt like I had to throw up. One nurse quickly got me a pan but before she could get back to me, I already had thrown up all over me, the doctor, and the other nurses.
I'm shocked the anesthesiologist or one of the other surgical team members didn't ask before the surgery when was the last time you ate. And it sounds like that nurse didn't read your chart before offering you food!

In the hospitals I've been in here, the staff won't give a patient food unless it's specifically ordered by the admitting doctor, and they put a sign on the door indicating that a patient is NPO, or "nothing allowed by mouth" (it's an acronym for a Latin phrase).

This is not only because anesthesia can give people an upset stomach but also because food in the system can interfere with imaging test results. Crazy.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
In 1989 one night I decided to buy a bite sized piece of filet mignon just to see how it tasted. I went into the ER later that same night for appendicitis and have never been tempted to sample filet mignon again.

I will never, ever eat black bean anything again.
Your blackballing a food based on coincidence is understandable and human.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:08 AM   #18
Master Chef

Never have been a fan of oysters. Went out to eat with coworkers one night and got a fried seafood platter. Asked for more scallops in place of the oysters that were supposed to be there. When I was eating, one of the bites of seafood seemed too squishy to be a scallop, so I figured it was a random oyster. Wrong. Sick overnight, and still sick when I went to work. So much so, in fact, that the head bossy-boss took pity on me and sent me home. Still eat scallops, still won't eat oysters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
When I was in first grade, we ate in the school's cafeteria. I got a chicken leg with the foot still attached. Toenails and all...
No wonder you prefer white meat, and not the part with the ookies!
Old 10-04-2016, 04:03 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm shocked the anesthesiologist or one of the other surgical team members didn't ask before the surgery when was the last time you ate. And it sounds like that nurse didn't read your chart before offering you food!

In the hospitals I've been in here, the staff won't give a patient food unless it's specifically ordered by the admitting doctor, and they put a sign on the door indicating that a patient is NPO, or "nothing allowed by mouth" (it's an acronym for a Latin phrase).

This is not only because anesthesia can give people an upset stomach but also because food in the system can interfere with imaging test results. Crazy.
Also because under anesthesia, a person can cough up their food and have it block their airway.

I'm shocked I didn't pick up on it. I'm usually pretty alert to those things. But given every other stupid thing I'd done in connection with this aneurysm, I guess it was just was par for the course. Like a dummy, I drove myself to the ER (after having gotten lost looking for the first hospital) and then walked in calmly stating that I thought I was having a stroke. For that, I spent two hours in the waiting room where a family came in with their coughing kid, saw me sitting there all by myself in the room, and planted themselves in the chairs right next to me. I moved, but not quick enough and a week later, I had the first cold I'd had in years.

I also didn't get to take the Life Flight helicopter to the other hospital (despite a massive headache, I still would have enjoyed that). Instead I went by ambulance and we got stuck in traffic.

In retrospect, I guess tossing black bean chili all over everyone was just the icing on a bad cake of a day.

It's OK, I had great nurses, recovered extremely fast, and got revenge by being the healthiest sick person in ICU. Did you know that when you move the beds, you can accidentally unplug them and then an alarm will go off? If that ever happens to you, jump back into bed and act like you don't know what's going on. Don't just stand there and look guilty like I did when everyone rushed into the room (I was only trying to move the bed so I could see the TV better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Your blackballing a food based on coincidence is understandable and human.
Thank you. Not to mention that not wanting to buy filet mignon saves me a ton of money.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Also because under anesthesia, a person can cough up their food and have it block their airway.

I'm shocked I didn't pick up on it. I'm usually pretty alert to those things.
Or aspirate the food and get pneumonia.

I'm wondering whether medical procedures are really that different in different parts of the country, or if you were in a particularly bad hospital. I mean, SO many people dropped the ball there and really endangered you - the nurse, the anesthesiologist and at least one other team member.

I've had seven surgeries since 2002, in three different hospitals, and they all follow the same pre-operative routine. It's not the responsibility of a sick patient to make sure hospital staff follow correct procedures.

Tags
eating