Baked Beans vs Heinz baked beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what to add but I would drown it in grated cheese...... then I would add some sour cream. :mellow:
Grated cheese can be my best friend when I "wreck" a meal...... :rolleyes:. When it comes to Baked Beans I always buy SPC Baked Beans and then I choose Heinz.

I have never eaten canned baked beans as is. They always get doctored. There was one exception, Big Johns. There were two cans taped together, one with beans and one with goodies. I might have lined the baking dish with bacon, but nothing else except the bacon on top.:angel:

I remember Big Johns. I had forgotten about it coming in two cans. Kind of a novel approach.

Growing up in Maine, baked beans are a big deal.

Never had anything but homemade until I was an adult. If it isn't homemade (from dry beans) then it has to be Bush's or B&M.

In my area of the south, they usually start with a generic canned pork and bean and add catsup, mustard, sugar, worcestershire sauce and such to it, everyone has their own way.

Are Heinz beans different in Europe?
I seem to remember reading some where that they were.
Heinz here in the U.S.A. have a red label and I believe those in Europe have a blue label.
Is there a difference?
Heinz is down the list on the canned beans for me. I'd go for B&M or Bush's first.
But any canned beans can be made good with a few alterations.

That scene form Blazing Saddles makes me crack up every time I see it, no matter how many times I see it. (Yes I have the mind of a 3 year old.)

You need to eat beans if others are just so you can defend yourself.

In deer camp, beans produced buck snorts.:LOL: In California, you have to be wary of the California Barking spider. They come from eating cans of California Barking Spider Eggs. I use to have a can, labeled as such.:ROFLMAO:

They don't have any effect on me though, because I'm a lot like the male version of Mary Poppins, "practically perfect in every way.":wacko:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

"They don't have any effect on me though"

If you believe that I've got a bridge I'll sell ya for a great price. ;)

This is kind of difficult to answer considering I have no frame of reference. Although I am familiar with Hienz baked beans, I have no idea what the generics are like. Hienz are in a tomato sauce, so I would start there. Add a bit of apple cider vinegar perhaps, maybe a little onion powder....again without a frame of reference....it's a shot in the dark

-Alfred

In deer camp, beans produced buck snorts.:LOL: In California, you have to be wary of the California Barking spider. They come from eating cans of California Barking Spider Eggs. I use to have a can, labeled as such.:ROFLMAO:

They don't have any effect on me though, because I'm a lot like the male version of Mary Poppins, "practically perfect in every way.":wacko:

so that's how you fly around with just an umbrella.

the bernoulli principle in effect again. bigher pressure beneath the umbrella and lower pressure above it provides lift.
:ermm:

According to the world's foremost authority, Wikipedia, Heinz in England has much less sugar than Heinz in the US.

My favorite beans are Bush's Boston Style, unless I can have home made.

Carol

Carol, growing up my mother made beans every Saturday. I took bean sandwiches to school as did all my friends every Monday. I did the same for my kids. Every Saturday night, beans and fish sticks, hot dogs, hamburgers, whatever I felt like making to go with the beans. My son Spike and I were just talking about my six quart bean pot last night. He asked me if he gets me a new pot, would I make some again. Why not? Isn't that what mothers do? Feed their children their favorite foods.

I know you don't HAVE to have a bean pot, but they just don't taste the same in anything else. :angel:

Just some trivia. Did you know that a number of years back :rolleyes: The Massachusetts Legislature passed a law that says you cannot call baked beans, "Boston Baked Beans" unless they are baked in Boston. It was a slow day on Beacon Hill. The lawmakers had nothing to work on that day. :angel:

Addie, this is the first I've heard of baked bean sandwiches since my mother passed away. I thought she invented them.

Carol

"Sounds like you are already full of it." :LOL:

Now you're not the first to say that. :(

And I'm sure you won't be the last. ;)

Guess you're not interested in my bridge. :rolleyes:

I'm still working on the perfect bean recipe. And I'm sure I'll never get there. Beans are something that are wonderful yet just one step away for me.

Canned are great but when I make home made they always need something else to make them what I want.
I'll figure it out one day and I like my home made but canned beans offer something that's hard to beat as far as consistency is concerned. :neutral:

Addie, this is the first I've heard of baked bean sandwiches since my mother passed away. I thought she invented them.

Carol

Carol, my mother was born in the mid 20's. 1920's that is. Just in time for the Depression. Bean sandwiches were the mainstay for children's lunches at that time. She grew up with them, I did and so did my children. Unfortunately, my kids never learned to make baked beans. Even though they all love them as much as I do. For more than 100 years, baked beans have been a New England staple. Mostly served on a Saturday night. I used to have to buy a very large piece of salt pork with large streaks of meat running through it. Then I would have to cut it up into six pieces so everyone in the family could have a piece. :angel:

Just some trivia. Did you know that a number of years back :rolleyes: The Massachusetts Legislature passed a law that says you cannot call baked beans, "Boston Baked Beans" unless they are baked in Boston. It was a slow day on Beacon Hill. The lawmakers had nothing to work on that day. :angel:

the champagne and burgundy guys must have been vacationing in boston that week...

Last night, I took a can of no-name black beans, drained them, and put them in a pot along with some onion, brown sugar, and chili powder. I let them simmer for about twenty minutes. They beat Bush's and VanCamp's beans in every way. Plus, black beans are among the most nutritious beans in the legume family. Had a couple of good hot dogs with them. That's one of the tastiest meals I know. The only way to make it better is to add some diced slab bacon, or smoked hog jowl to the mix, with some pure, grade B maple syrup. Yum.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom