"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
Jamie Oliver has a green tea and vanilla pannacotta with chocolate sauce recipe. Check it out. It would be an original flavor.

oyamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by oyamary View Post
Jamie Oliver has a green tea and vanilla pannacotta with chocolate sauce recipe. Check it out. It would be an original flavor.
how would it be original if it's someone else's recipe?? especially a tv celebrity chef's??

ShabbyAckelford, if you just want to become a good cook, build up a collection of good recipes. anyone's. but if you're hoping to make it as a chef, there are 2 things (amongst a bazillion others) that you need to be able to do. 1) do the classics, and do them well. 2) use your imagination and think outside of the box.

what makes j.o.'s recipe above unique is the combination of green tea and chocolate. not a combination that would normally jump into mind.

just to give you some food for thought:

take a good look a your spice rack. keep in mind the 4 basic tastes and how to balance or contrast them. don't forget that smell also influences flavor. and then there are textures to consider too, as well as temperature.

as an example, curry isn't a flavor that would normally be associated with a baked custard. especially if it were a bit on the spicy side. instead of caramel, what could you use to balance or contrast the taste? molasses? a fruit puree or sauce?

stepping even further outside the box, who's to say that a custard has to be a dessert? how about something savory as a main dish? seafood custard? maybe cover some prawn shells with dry white wine, reduce to half & strain, then add some cream and eggs. maybe with scallops?

what i'm suggesting is that you do a panna cotta, cheesecake, mousse or whatever, but that you also actually use your noggin to weigh up different ideas in your mind that have definitely never been done before. once you've got some taste combinations figured out, think about textures and presentation. bounce some of your ideas off your instructor if it's not feasible to do test batches of all of them first.

hope this helps and best of luck

let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
You can't go wrong with using some chocolate because it is the favorite flavor around the world.
Black and White Custard

2 eggs
3/4cup of egg yolks
3/4 cup of milk
1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
7 oz bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup of sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
In a mixing bowl beat the whole eggs, yolks, and sugar. Set aside.
Scold milk and cream in a sauce pan. Add the chocolate to the milk mixture and stir until melted. Slowly add the egg mixture to the hot chocolate milk, stirring constantly. Pour into greased custard cups and bake in a water bath for 25 to 30 minutes.

White Sauce

5 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups of sugar
1 cup of heavy cream
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 vanilla bean
1 tablespoon of corn starch

Beat the egg yolks and sugar with mixer until fluffy, set aside. Put milk and cream in heavy sauce pan, cut vanilla bean down the middle and add to the milk. Mix the corn starch with a little of the milk to blend and stir it back into the milk in the sauce pan. Heat the milk in the sauce pan just to a boil, pour part of hot milk mixture into the beaten eggs stirring briskly. Add egg and milk mixture back into sauce pan with the remaining milk. Return to medium heat stirring constantly (do not boil) until mixture thickens. Refrigerate until cold. (This can be made ahead of time)

Unmold the chocolate custard on a plate of the cream.

Painless Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Master Chef
i'm going to give you a custard recipe, that you can practice with. My advice is to learn the ratio of ingredients, and then make the flavors your own. I have a wonderful key-lime pie recipe. The filling is a citrus-flavored custard. try substituting a different citrus, maybe pineapple and coconut, or lemon with a swirl of bavarian cream through it. you get the picture. Have you ever had a citrus pie made from grapefruit, or blood orange? How about a new twist with strawberries? Here's the key-lime pie recipe. and remember, practice it in private first. That way, you can adjust the ingredients in your recipe to make it great.

1/2 cup fresh lime juice (3 to 4 limes)
4 egg yolks
4 teaspoons grated lime zest
1 - 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Pie crust ingredients:
1/1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt

Zest one lime over a saucer and set aside. Cut the lime in half.. Squeeze out the juice through a fine mesh strainer to remove any pulp and/ seeds. Squeese the remaining limes to make a half cup of lime juice.

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Combine the flour, salt, and 1/3 cup of the lard, using a pastry cutter to work the dough. Don't worry. It won't get tough until you add water. The dough should have a pebbly appearance. Add more flour or lard as needed to achieve the proper consistency. Add two tbs. of ice water and mix with a fork until it is just absormed by the crust. Roll the dough on a floured, chilled surface if the room is warm. Place your pie pan inverted over the dough and cut a smooth circle two inches larger than the pan on each side. Remove the pan and carefully fold it in half. Lift it into the pie pan and push it down evenly all around. Flute the edges. brush with egg wash, and poke little holes in the bottom with a fork. Blind bake for ten minutes and remove from the oven.

While the crust is browning, whisk the egg yolks and lime zest together in a bowl for about 2 minutes. While continuing to whisk, slowly add the milk, then juice and set aside until till it thickens. Pour the filling into the crust, making sure to spread it evenly. Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Test by jiggling the pan. The custard should jiggle just a little, but be set. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Chill well before serving. If you want, you can use the egg whites as a merangue, or top with a cocanut-flavored whipped cream, or even chantilly cream. Be creative.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
i have one in a casserole in the oven as we speak, can hardly wait. thanks for the idea. oh the plain one not a citrus one.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #16
How about a trifle? Just a thought. I love the flan idea too.

As for the coulis - blueberry?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
Assistant Cook
Holy cow! Thanks to all of you! Obviously I haven't been back here in a while... between work and school and our ranch I've had hardly any time to even check my email.

There are so great ideas here! Exactly what I needed to get me to start working some things out. I've practiced a panna cotta (buttermilk and mint) that turned out well, but now I'm definitely going to have to try out these recipes! And even if I don't use them for my project I'm going to keep them. Luckily I have a few days off this week, so I've set them aside for testing out recipes. My family is going to be so happy when they come home and I have a taste testing with them, haha.

Oh, I'm so excited to jump into all of this. I really appreciate all the advice and recipes you all have given me. And here I thought that a baked custard was a boring thing... =p
ShabbyAckelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
Never boring! Quite possibly one of the best dessert genres in the world.

catalina is offline   Reply With Quote