"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Baked Custard

Hi all! I'm newly registered, however I've come poking around several times. It seems I can always find what I'm looking for, so I've come for advice.

I'm currently in culinary school, and I'm in a pastry class right now. It's really just the beginning basics, but I love it so much. I learn so many new things every week. Anyway, we have a big project coming up in the next month, and we are starting to plan for it right now. We have to make 2 kinds of custard- stirred and baked, a pie, a cake, and then use laminated dough in 2 different shapes with 2 different fillings. They need to be really good quality.. something you would buy in a bakery or order at a nice restaurant. We can combine 2 of the main categories (i.e. I'm doing puff pastry folded into a
feuilletèe filled with lemon curd- which covers stirred custard and one of the laminated doughs), or do them all separately. We have time before hand to make some of the items, so my puff pastry has been made in a previous class and frozen.. I'll make my cakes and freeze them in a couple of weeks so all I have to do is decorate them. You get the point. Then we have to make time to finish the products. Obviously I can't make dulce de leche and freeze it weeks before. It needs to be made and used immediately. Here's the kicker- we have three 4-and-a-half-hour session to do it all. It helps us learn to budget our time and plan.

Ok, so now that you guys know the basics.. any ideas for a baked custard? Haha. It seems like everyone is doing
crème brûlèe or a cheesecake. I wanted something different. Even just a unique flavor for ones of those! I've been searching books and the internet for ideas, I just can't get happy. While I've been baking for as long as I can remember, custards aren't my thing. I really don't know that much about them. I need something that is do-able in a couple of hours (I'll probably make whatever it is in an individual size so that it will chill faster) and not something that will confuse the bageebees out of me. So... help? Really, any ideas to get my down the right path would be appreciated!

Thanks so much! And sorry this is so long!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

While I don't have any advice for you on your project I just wanted to say welcome to Discuss Cooking.

And a good cheese cake is never a bad idea.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

How about a panna cotta? Topped with a raspberry or strawberry coulis
kadesma
Old 02-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

FrankZ- You're right. I die for cheesecake. I just wish I could come up with a really creative flavor for it..

kadesma- Hmmm... panna cotta. I like it. It's fast and good! I know that coulis is traditionally raspberry or strawberry, but I have raspberry in my cake already. Have you ever had any other flavor? I have raspberry and orange in my cake, lemon to go with the puff pastry, and banana in my pie. Do you think a blueberry coulis could work? Maybe a peach mint or something? I could always fall back on strawberry...
Old 02-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Head Chef

So one of my friends in Dubai made this for me when I was visiting her there. In the Middle east dates are big and I absolutely loved this. You can give it a shot and see if you like it. It's super easy to make.

4 eggs
2 cups of whole fat milk (I use evaporated) - Chill it in the fridge ahead of time
1 cup of dates (pitted ones available at most super markets)
1 cup of regular milk
2 slices of white bread (remove the crust)
Pinch of cardamom
sugar to taste
Pinch of salt
Garnish
Finely chopped pistachios
Heavy Cream

Cook the dates and the 1 cup of milk until the dates are soft. The milk should reduce in quantity as the dates soften. Cook for about 15 minutes or so. Next put that in the blender and add 2 cups of evaporated milk and bread and blend the entire mixture. Slowly add the eggs (they should be fine to add if your evaporated milk is cold, it should bring the temperature down and you don't have to worry about the eggs curdling). Blend it together. Taste before adding any sugar, also stir in the cardamom and salt.

Pour into individual ramekins or a pan and bake in a water bath until the mixture is almost set (just a tiny big jiggly in the middle).

Cool it completely and garnish with some whipped heavy cream spread all over it and crushed pistachios.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyAckelford View Post
FrankZ- You're right. I die for cheesecake. I just wish I could come up with a really creative flavor for it..

kadesma- Hmmm... panna cotta. I like it. It's fast and good! I know that coulis is traditionally raspberry or strawberry, but I have raspberry in my cake already. Have you ever had any other flavor? I have raspberry and orange in my cake, lemon to go with the puff pastry, and banana in my pie. Do you think a blueberry coulis could work? Maybe a peach mint or something? I could always fall back on strawberry...
I usually use raspberries or strawberries..My favorite of the two being strawberry..But I'm thinking maybe a drizzle of either dark or milk chocolate.
kadesma
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Custard is best done low and slow otherwise they bounce if you drop them. Your idea bout making small ind. ones is wise...they bake faster and cool faster. Melt cinnamon candies and pour a little in each dish before adding the custard mixture...yummie.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I would suggest a flan or, to be creative, a coconut and rum flan. Simple, flavorful, and a big hit whenever I make it. In case you want it: 1 can evap milk, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 4 eggs, 1.5 tsp vanilla, and enough sugar (usually 1 cup) to make caramel for the bottom of your baking dish(es). Make caramel, combine the rest of the ingredients together. After pouring the caramel into the bottom of the dish(es), pour in the mixture and bake in a water bath until set. For my large pans this is usually about 45-50 minutes, not sure about smaller dishes. If you wanted to add rum, coconut, kahlua, whatever, just mix it in with the rest of the ingredients before pouring in to baking dishes. Serve chilled. Good luck, welcome, and I hope to be where you are at someday!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks Cat...are you ACF? Your flan[s] sound good. If you have a low temp cook and hold oven or a combi you can skip the water bath, bake them quickly, and keep the temp low also.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

ACF? Nope just a music major with a desire to go to culinary school. Hmm don't think our oven is capable of that; I'll have to look into that, thanks for the tip!