Baker's Percentages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A pound of butter doesn't necessarily weigh a pound...just saying. The Scandinavian recipes for pastries, breads, cakes, and cookies I have are easier to figure out if one weighs the ingredients and goes with percentages.
What does that mean?

Well...I had the boys weigh the 454 g of butter so that they could figure out what 1/2 of that would be in grams instead of cups. The 454 g of butter weighed 449.5 g. I had taken 2 454 g blocks of butter out of the fridge at the same time. Both unsalted, from the same dairy, purchased at the same time, both at room temperature. The 2nd one weighed just shy of 458 g. Not a huge difference, but obviously a difference.

Well...I had the boys weigh the 454 g of butter so that they could figure out what 1/2 of that would be in grams instead of cups. The 454 g of butter weighed 449.5 g. I had taken 2 454 g blocks of butter out of the fridge at the same time. Both unsalted, from the same dairy, purchased at the same time, both at room temperature. The 2nd one weighed just shy of 458 g. Not a huge difference, but obviously a difference.

But the two pounds averaged a pound each...

That wasn't the point. The only reason we weighed the 2nd one (which I had taken out to use for another recipe I was going to make after the boys left), was because the first one was not 454 g.

Okay, that's not exactly a pound, but those are off by less than 1% from what it states on the package. I doubt that would make a difference to anything if using 1/2 cup* of butter or more. Were those pounds of butter weighed with or without the wrapping? How much did the wrappings weigh? How much butter was left on the wrappings? Is your scale accurate to 10ths of a gram?

The purchased pounds of butter state 454 grams, which only implies accuracy to the nearest gram. Yeah, I know, it wasn't that accurate, but it was within 5 grams, since a pound is 453.592 grams to 3 decimal places (or 6 significant figures) of accuracy.

Personally, I would convert 1 cup of butter to 454/2 = 227 grams or even 225 grams. I doubt the original recipes were more accurate than that. I usually do that when converting and see if it works well. It always has so far.

* 1/2 cup because if the butter is in "sticks", that is the smallest pre-measured quantity. Any smaller quantities have to be measured or estimated.

W/out the wrappings. Didn't weigh the wrappings! This is all an exercise in helping the boys figure out how to scale recipes and how to use a basic formula that they can play with to make the recipe their own. March 28th we're making cheeses--ricotta, paneer, cottage, and moz. We are using milk and we are going experiment with using plain soy milk for moz. We'll see if the vegetable rennet works with soy milk.

Last edited:
W/out the wrappings. Didn't weigh the wrappings! This is all an exercise in helping the boys figure out how to scale recipes and how to use a basic formula that they can play with to make the recipe their own. March 28th we're making cheeses--ricotta, paneer, cottage, and moz. We are using milk and we are going experiment with using plain soy milk for moz. We'll see if the vegetable rennet works with soy milk.
I still think you should try making ricotta, since you will have the right kind of whey (mozzarella) to make it.

TL--We are making ricotta! I think you meant quark? Thank goodness I can buy the milk at the wholesalers!
Nope, I meant ricotta. You listed cottage cheese, but not ricotta. Oops, that was earlier. I just noticed that you did right ricotta. :doh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom