Baking a Butter cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

can-baking

Assistant Cook
Well first I guess its a good idea to describe what I am hoping to achieve, If anyone is living in Australia and shop at Woolworths then you might have seen the Home Brand Butter cake mix that is what I am using for the moment to bake cakes with.
Now I have tried doing it on my own, sadly nothing so far has worked out. My mother has a few of Margaret Fulton cook books (I am trying to find a few myself), but since I am no longer living with her I don't have access to them, so I've been trying cake recipes I have found online.

No need to say it always failed.

The cakes I would bake when I used ingrandes, included:
Caster sugar
Butter
Vanilla
Self-raising flour
Milk

After a bit of playing around, the cakes where either sponge cake, tastes like flour or well lets not go there ok?

When I cook or bake something I just toss everything in, mix it up and pop it into the oven, just like my mother. That's always worked great for me until this...

So anybody have a suggestion?

Welcome to DC. I'm no baker, but there are a lot of excellent ones here at DC. I'm sure someone will have suggestions for you. We have several members in Australia as well.

1. give the generic cake mixes a miss .. try using Greens Traditional Cake Mix Golden Butter to start off with ..

2. standard simple AU buttercake:
125g butter
3/4 c caster sugar
2 eggs
1 ts vanilla
1 1/2 cups plain flour*
2 ts baking powder*
1/4-1/3 cup of milk[depands on batter]
* I don't use S/R flour anymore. Plain flour and baking powder is easier.
Sift flour with baking powder. Cream butter & sugar. Add eggs one by one. Add vanilla. Fold in flour with a spoon. 22cm round tin 180oC 40?minutes.

3. Margaret Fulton cook books? try Vinnies or the Salvos ..

If it tastes like flour, then it is probably too dry. Try adding the softened butter together with the sugar and mix until creamy, then add your eggs. Mix your dry ingredients together. Add them alternately with your milk. If it seems too dry, add more milk.

Thanks, I can only give this a try once I get paid next.
I'll need to buy, baking powder, plain flour and more butter.

Also it goes without saying, this will be a bigger cake. The Home Brand ones don't include much mix.

1. give the generic cake mixes a miss .. try using Greens Traditional Cake Mix Golden Butter to start off with ..

2. standard simple AU buttercake:
125g butter
3/4 c caster sugar
2 eggs
1 ts vanilla
1 1/2 cups plain flour*
2 ts baking powder*
1/4-1/3 cup of milk[depands on batter]
* I don't use S/R flour anymore. Plain flour and baking powder is easier.
Sift flour with baking powder. Cream butter & sugar. Add eggs one by one. Add vanilla. Fold in flour with a spoon. 22cm round tin 180oC 40?minutes.

3. Margaret Fulton cook books? try Vinnies or the Salvos ..

Back
Top Bottom