Balsamic Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Number 18

Cook
Hello

I'll be making a balsamic of beef and root vegetables.

Beef will be cut thumb size, vegetables will be thick sliced.

I will toss them in a mix of balsamic vinegar with oil and some salt and pepper.

What heat should the oven temperature be? and for how long should I cook the beef without burning the balsamic vinegar?
Should I cover in foil to prevent balsamic vinegar from burning?

I will add the vegetables in the last 25 minutes.

You will find that thumb sized meat will cook quite quickly. If I were you, I would roast my meat whole and slice once it's finished cooking.

As for the balsamic, I would add that as a glaze half-way through the cooking process as to not burn the sugars or to create an intense balsamic flavour that overpowers the rest of the dish.

Ok, just finished and surprisingly the balsamic didn't thick up as usual?

Thought it was the water from the meat so I removed it and added the vinegar again. Still watery and when I waited it just evaporated!

???

Thought it was the water from the meat so I removed it and added the vinegar again. Still watery and when I waited it just evaporated!

???

Okay, if you are buy your run of the mill grocery store balsamic vinegar, pour it into a small saucepan. Simmer on low until it has evaporated until half is left. It will be thick and suitable for your purposes. It will also bring the flavor closer to the really expensive stuff from Modena. If you have ever seen the Modena vinegar, it is very thick and syrupy. And it is sweet. That is what you want yours to be like. Read the label. See if sugar has been added. Real balsamic has no sugar added. The sweetnes and sugar in the grape is what makes it sweet. But for the American taste, most companies here add it. They don't like to take the time to age it properly. That cost money. Good Luck! :chef:

Please provide more information. Cooking time? Temperature? What kinds of root vegetables? What cut of beef? What kind of pan did you cook it in?

Didn't thicken up as usual? What did you do differently from usual? How thick does it usually get?

I agree with GC, I'd cook a full roast over a bed of root vegetables. You could do as Addie suggested, make a 50% reduction of balsamic vinegar to coat your roast and vegetables with before roasting. Then take out your roast and reserve the pan juices. Let the roast rest perhaps 10 minutes, then carve it and serve with the vegetables, and pour the pan juices over the serving.

IMO cutting up the beef before cooking will invite toughness. I'm imagining beef pieces and potato pieces, and by the time the potatoes are cooked the beef is overdone.

But it all depends on exactly what you did, and my crystal ball ain't workin' today! :)

Last edited:
Okay, if you are buy your run of the mill grocery store balsamic vinegar, pour it into a small saucepan. Simmer on low until it has evaporated until half is left. It will be thick and suitable for your purposes. It will also bring the flavor closer to the really expensive stuff from Modena. If you have ever seen the Modena vinegar, it is very thick and syrupy. And it is sweet. That is what you want yours to be like. Read the label. See if sugar has been added. Real balsamic has no sugar added. The sweetnes and sugar in the grape is what makes it sweet. But for the American taste, most companies here add it. They don't like to take the time to age it properly. That cost money. Good Luck! :chef:
I tried the method you mentioned of evaporating.
But it looks like a drizzled sauce. Maybe should add it then roast for 5 mins more.

Please provide more information. Cooking time? Temperature? What kinds of root vegetables? What cut of beef? What kind of pan did you cook it in?

Didn't thicken up as usual? What did you do differently from usual? How thick does it usually get?

I agree with GC, I'd cook a full roast over a bed of root vegetables. You could do as Addie suggested, make a 50% reduction of balsamic vinegar to coat your roast and vegetables with before roasting. Then take out your roast and reserve the pan juices. Let the roast rest perhaps 10 minutes, then carve it and serve with the vegetables, and pour the pan juices over the serving.

IMO cutting up the beef before cooking will invite toughness. I'm imagining beef pieces and potato pieces, and by the time the potatoes are cooked the beef is overdone.

But it all depends on exactly what you did, and my crystal ball ain't workin' today! :)
Oh I forgot the information, I gave up make this dish a looong time ago.

But I usually use beef with potatoes and vegetables. I just drizzle oil and balsamic vinegar, balsamic being more than the oil but not having it running at the bottom of the pan.
I don't know the exact measurements I just pour everything measuring with my eyes.
It should come out with no running nor burning at the bottom of the pan.
Sauce coating the ingredient should not be dry but at the same time not runny.
Now when I do it, the sauce evaporate and burns over the vegetable and the pan is dried and burnt.

But I'll do what is suggested. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom