"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

My pleasure!

Old 03-06-2005, 12:57 AM   #12
Master Chef

For what it's worth - I just ran and checked my bottle from Modena and it's got 0% alcohol. Of course, according to the food labeling laws, anything less than 0.5% is the same as 0%.

I love people that "freak" over alcohol in their food .... most don't have a clue about what they are talking about! For some it is a religious thing, for others it is because they are on some medication that says not to take it with alcohol, and for others their doctor told them to not drink alcohol for some other reason.

But, as someone pointed out - yeast leavened bread contains alcohol. Anything like pastry that contains vanilla extract contains alcohol ... and it's 40% alcohol. But, it's also diluted .. so the amount you actually consume is so small it's not going to be noticed, even by a recovering alcoholic. Wine is the same thing ... it takes about 1/4 cup wine to equal the amount of alcohol in a tablespoon of vanilla extract ... and most of it is going to cook out .... the ramainder is going to be so diluted it's not worth mentioning.

Flavor and aromatic components of foods/herbs/spices are disolved and released by three things ... water, fats, alcohol.

The truth is ... you could get less alcohol from using 1/4 cup wine to deglage a pan than in 1 cookie!

Old 03-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #13
Master Chef

The vanilla extract thing is an ongoing joke in many families with a dipsomaniac relative -- more than one early 20th century housewife went to bake her cookies only to find that Uncle upended her giant (and very expensive in those days) bottle. A local woman here heard a noise in her kitchen, went to look, and found her empty vanilla bottle on the counter where a desperate neighbor had dropped in for a fix.

I'm in the school of when in doubt, ask. My, how some people make it difficult for you to be a good host, but then that's somewhere here on another thread.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:07 PM   #14
Master Chef

Oh, it just occurred to me, another reason for some people not to drink is that some people lack an enzyme that allows you to process alcohol. A lot of Asian women I know cannot drink at all for this reason. But I've never known them to carry it to the extreme of not eating foods prepared with alcohol, they just do not drink. It is sort of like being lactose intolerant.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:03 PM   #15
Master Chef

If your freind abstains from alcohol for religeous reasons, as I do, I will clarify. In my faith, we believe that we have received revelation to stay away from all substances that can control us. That means we don't use caffeinated beverages, alcohol, drugs (except by medical direction), don't gamble, etc. We also believe that every individual has the right to beleive and worship however they choose. I would never look down on any of my freinds who use alcohol. I only ask that they respect my choice to abstain. Besides, I quit young, before I joined the LDS faith, as I was a skinny little guy that got sick every time I tried to drink alcoholic beverages. And it just tastes nasty to me. My youngest sister, on the other hand, loves the flavor of beer, and has since she first snuck a sip of her Dad's beer at about age eight. She drinks responsibly and not very often. She loves the beverage for its flavor and uses it as a treat, the way I treat myself occasionally with an exceptional cheddar cheese.

Would I chastize her for drinking a beer? No I wouldn't. That's her choice. Would I chastize her for trying to get me to "loosen up" with a beer? You betcha.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

All I know is that balsamic is GREAT for marinating strawberries.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Another - major - reason for folks not ingesting alcohol in any form is if they're recovering alcoholics. Having worked at a drug/alcohol rehab program, the folks there were given pretty extensive lists on what to stay away from when they left. Not only because the physical effects could affect them, but for some, even the aroma of wine or beer, or alcohol, could send a recovering person over the edge.

I don't think we need to bluntly ask a guest why they're abstaining in any form; just respect the fact that they are.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:23 PM   #18
Sous Chef

did you say you joined the LSD faith?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #19
Master Chef

That would be the L.D.S Faith, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Though I'm whacky enough that there are those who might think LSD was a better explanation for my shenanigans. I just have this fun-loving child within me that refuses to go away. And it doesn't help that I cultivate that childlike fun.

I'd rather be a 49 year-old kid, who refuses to be kept down, than an arrogant, snobbish, materialistic, too serious adult male who has to keep up with the Jones', or have the most expensive toys. Give me a good kite, with dual strings so I can "fly" it and I'm the happiest guy on the block. But even better than that, it'll soon be fishing season again. Whooohoooo! and you hear music in the background with the old motown lyrics chiming in "Celebrate good times, Yahoo, It's a celebration."

And then, there's always a good squirt-gun.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
And then, there's always a good squirt-gun.
come over to my house to play, Goodweed. We have the Super Soaker kind!