"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

There are gluten-free recipes that do not use flour, but the recipe does include some sort of "flour-like" ingredient, e.g., coconut flour, ground flax seeds + Chia goop, etc. A search on the 'Net turned up a number of "flourless" banana bread recipes. However, I did not find one that did not include some sort of leavening agent.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Do I need both baking powder and baking soda. What can be distinguished about the two?
Basically, you need to follow the recipe. The person who originally devised it did so by making and overcoming mistakes. It's a good idea to profit by his or her work.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Baking is chemistry. Change the chemistry and you change what you get. Every ingredient is there for a specific purpose sometimes more than one purpose.

-Baking soda/baking powder to make it rise
-butter or other fat, moistness and tenderness
-flour to bind everything together and add structure
-eggs aids in rise, helps hold things together so it isn't crumbly

a recipe is created to hopefully combine each component in specific quantities to produce a specific result. The order in which things are mixed also determines the result.

Baking isn't something that can be thrown together without careful measuring, or making substitutions without knowing how they will affect the chemistry.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
Master Chef

You could make yummy cookies with the ingredients you describe. Try this:
Preheat your oven to 425' F. Separate three eggs into yolk and egg white in two bowls. The bowl with the egg whites must not be plastic. Also, there must be absolutely no egg yolk in the egg white bowl. Add 1/4 cup of powdered sugar to the egg whites, along with a tsp. of vanilla extract. Add a pinch of cream of tartar to the egg whites and whip until stiff peaks form (use a mixer to make this chore easier.). Mash 3 bananas until smooth. fold into the egg white mixture.

Plop 2 tbs. of the egg white mixture onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet to make 12, even sized blobs. Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Check the cookies and remove when they are lightly browned on top.

While the cookies are baking, combine 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1/2 tsp of salt to the egg yolks. Beat until smooth. Heat 1 cup of milk over medium heat until it forms a skin on top, but doesn't yet boil. Rapidly stir 1/2 cup of the hot milk to the egg yolk until smooth. Pour that back into the pan, and heat over a low temperature, while stirring, until the mixture thickens.

When the cookies are done, remove them from the cookie sheet and let them cool. Top each with a tsp. of custard, or use the custard as a dip for the banana cookies.

I haven't done this, but have made meringue cookies before. With the banana, this might come out more like mini-soufles. But you never know unless you try.

I believe the famous Sacher Torte is made without flour, so there is precedence.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bread, banana