"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
Cook

Banana bread W.O. key ingredients

So I want to make banana bread. I want to experiment a little, but I figure I'll ask some questions before hand.

So I do not have flour or baking powder, and I know I can buy these because they are cheap, but besides the fact that the bread won't rise will that hold it back from anything else?

I was thinking about just using bananas, an egg, a little butter (not a stick like a lot of recipes call for) and a little sugar.

Also could someone explain the reasoning for adding wet to dry ingredients and vice versa. Or does it not matter if everything is mixed at the same time.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Wine Guy

Interesting.

Without flour, baking powder, or any other dry ingredient, what you're making is not bread. There is nothing to provide structure or rise.

Think of building a house without a foundation, walls, or a roof. Kind of like that.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

With the ingredients you mentioned, you could make a banana custard. I suppose you could call it banana bread...
Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Regarding wet and dry ingredients, if you dump everything together and then try to mix them, they won't combine thoroughly. You will have pockets of the dough that have more or less egg or seasoning or flour and then the mixture won't cook properly, or you'll get a big hit of salt or something in one bite and none in another.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

As a non-baker, even I can say that banana bread is really easy to make. I'd go with a tried and true recipe. With only the ingredients you listed, you'd end up with banana slop, it would not bake well.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
Cook

Could I use flour without the baking powder, or vice versa.

Is flour more of a binder while baking powder is more of a riser?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Flour is the structure of the bread. Without it there is only a puddle of ingredients. The baking powder, working with the other ingredients, generates carbon dioxide gas that creates little bubbles that make the dough formed by the flour, to rise.

You need both as they need each other to actually create a bread.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What Andy said. Check out some of the BB recipes here on DC. They've stood the test of time.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
Cook

Do I need both baking powder and baking soda. What can be distinguished about the two?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Some recipes call for both.

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) generates carbon dioxide gas to make bubbles in the presence of an acidic ingredient. If a recipe does not contain an acidic ingredient, baking powder is used to generate the CO2 gas.

Baking powder is made with baking soda, cream of tartar (an acidic ingredient) and cornstarch. BP provides its own acid with the cream of tartar.

Tags
bread, banana