Barley, a thread about

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate barley in any shade or form. Did I mention I hate barley.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Scots Broth

Barley is an important cereal in Scotland. I used to love the Scots Broth as we called it: a meat and vegetable soup thickened with barley grains. It's centuries old. Some people use beef, but my family always the version with lamb:

2lb lamb (neck, scrag end, all the cuts of poverty cookery)
5lb stock made with lamb bones
Salt and Pepper
40z barley soaked from the night before
1/2 lb dried peas, soaked overnight.
30z chopped onions
5oz chopped leeks
20s shredded cabbage
20s diced celery
3oz diced carrots
3oz diced turnips
3 oz diced potatoes (old potatoes, not new)
white pepper.

Put the meat in the pan with the stock, salt, barley and peas. Bring to the boil and skim. Simmer for 1 hour. Add the vegetables and simmer for 1 1/2 hrs. If the meat is cooked and tender before the vegetables are and the broth has thickened, remove it and keep warm, then, when the broth is ready, dice the meat and return it to the pan. This should be a thick soup. Skim the fat off the surface before serving. You can adjust the quantities according to your own taste, it you like more barley or more of something else. Anyway, this should be a very thick soup - stick to your ribs, as they say in the UK.

You can substitute the lamb for a good old rooster that needs hours, like the lamb, to cook, even overnight.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Well even barely bread stays white, the crust get golden.
I couldn't live with out single malts, no bruichladdich or Dundee cake or even tablets.
Yes barley exist in so many alcohol products so it actually hard to avoid.
Oh no maltesers either... Or most things with malt, since most of it is made with barley.

ok, fine, if you want to be that particular. As long as I do not have to eat the gain itself, I'm ok.

Barley is an important cereal in Scotland. I used to love the Scots Broth as we called it: a meat and vegetable soup thickened with barley grains. It's centuries old. Some people use beef, but my family always the version with lamb:

I usually use a young chicken or (sacrilege I know) ground beef, but this is close to the pottage recipe I use. Good heavy barley soup with meat, broth and a bunch of veggies.

We just don't have affordable lamb around here, it is always dear enough that I tend to not use it for broth or stew.

Writing down that recipe, thanks, looks fantastic.

TBS

I like to make Scotch broth with purple prairie barley. It has to be soaked overnight and still takes 90 minutes to get it al dente. I cook the barley separate and add it to the stock pot about 5 minutes before serving. It takes me two days to make Scotch broth--I roast the bones overnight at 250. Love Scotch broth and usually have lamb bones in the freezer.

It takes planning to prepare (I started soaking it because it took so darned long to cook). It does not turn into slime and it does not taste like barley.

I'll look into it. I expect a barley recipe to have a loooooong prep time, can cut that a bit with a pressure cooker.

TBS

Back
Top Bottom