"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Julio
"Base," what does it mean?

What does it mean when a chef/cook says ITEM is the base?

Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef
If you were to make a vegetable beef soup and used beef stock as the primary flavor and liquid, the beef stock would be considered the "base" of the soup.

In chicken curry, the curry is the primary flavor, thus it's the base.

In using a roux as the thickening/flavor agent in making gravy, the roux is considered to be the base.

The predominant flavor upon which all of the other flavors are layered, is considered to be the "base".

I hope I made this clear enough, and apologize if I didn't.

"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Master Chef
Base can have another meaning as well, though you don't see it as much. Still, it's good to know. You have to look at the context of the sentence in which it's used. Base can refer to the PH of an ingredient. In this form, base means alkali. Baking soda is a base, while cream of tartar is an acid.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Base can also be the concentrated salted soup or stock starter that some kitchens use. It is not generally good eats.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Sous Chef
Base is a highly reduced meat or vegetable stock that is either a concentrated paste or dehydrated into a powder. Either way, it's very concentrated and the commercial bases almost always have a ton of MSG, salt, additives, preservatives and sometimes artificial colors and flavors. There is a base called "Better than Bouillon" that has some nasty additives like disodium guanylate that combined with the others mask MSG in their ingredient list. Nasty stuff. I'd avoid base if you can.

Usually a recipe will call for something like "2 t. chicken base and 2 c. water". Anywhere you see such a thing, IMO, you are better off making your own stock with wholesome ingredients and using that in its place. The above example would just be 2 c. chicken stock. Good luck!
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer
Based on the context that the OP used it in I would have to agree with Selkie's definition. When I just read the title of the thread my first thought was Robo and velochic described, but once I saw the chef said "the base" i concluded that he did not mean the concentrated stock.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
Base can also be the concentrated salted soup or stock starter that some kitchens use. It is not generally good eats.

well, many really great restaurants use bases even after a stock is made for enhancment. they're generally gonna season thier stock using a salt; base is usually plain salt/fat. fat is flavor. so is sodium.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote