"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Basil Plants

For Memorial Day dinner, I made a dish that called for basil. Shopping for the ingredients a few days before the holiday, I noticed those little clear plastic clamshell containers of cut basil were $3.69 each and I needed two. I was kinda put off by the price until SO noticed potted basil plants at 2 for $4. so I bought two plants, saving a few bucks.

After harvesting the basil for our holiday dinner, SO planted the two plants in her garden.

Well, these plants are the gift that keeps on giving. Tonight we harvested more basil for dinner. If we can keep the critters away, I may be able to make a batch of pesto later this summer.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Oooohh, I love fresh basil! I don't usually have any critter problems with it. Are you expecting something in particular to go after it?

Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I've done the same Andy. Those plants are a bargain for sure. We plant them also but they look pretty pitiful after a while. No harm done though, they're still a good buy for a few basil recipes.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:50 AM   #4
Head Chef

I've had some basil in the back corner of the yard for the last few years. I recently stumbled across some youtube videos on how to prune basil plants for maximum production. I've found that they die off well before the first frost, presumably because they require longer daylight hours (but that's a guess on my part).
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I find that every time I buy the live basil plants, I never have any left to plant! It’s also problematic to grow basil here in the desert. Even indoors, Basil needs access to direct sunlight, and the little shelf in my kitchen window gets nearly as hot as it is outside. Also, I eat her use a lot basil, or very little.

Bottom line: I’m a terrible gardener. I don’t have a brown thumb, I have a black thumb!
Old 06-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I had 12 basil transplants to put in the garden. I trimmed them all back, so they grow bushier, washed the trimmings. Last week the garlic scapes started on our garlic garden, so we trimmed those too. Then I made a garlic scape/basil/oil/walnut/lemon/S pesto to eat over vegetables (and pasta). I put the extra in 4 oz jars and froze it for future use.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Oooohh, I love fresh basil! I don't usually have any critter problems with it. Are you expecting something in particular to go after it?
When SO first started her garden, we planted food plants such as tomato, pepper, basil, beans, etc. She gave up because she ended up feeding the critters who ate the plants before we harvested. There is a perennial thyme plant in the garden that none of the critters seem to be interested in.

Around here we are host to squirrels, chipmunks, ducks, turkeys, foxes, deer and birds.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I see. I'm in a more urban area - no ducks, turkeys, foxes or deer here. Squirrels and chipmunks don't seem interested in the garden. I think my cats help keep the birds away. We did have a turtle go after low-hanging tomatoes once I decided to share.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Two basil plants produce more basil than we can use. Grown in a container...partial sun, watered well At summer's end over 2 feet tall.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
Master Chef

My basil at the Cape is not doing well at all. The basil in Boston is better. Cant figure that out.

Hoping that the woodchuck doesn't mow it down ….

Tags
basil