"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
How about chopping the liver up nice and fine, cooking it until it is well done and then serving it on top of some vanilla ice-cream.

We have to have a desert right :?: :?: :?:
Oh no, the liver is going into the Ice cream maker!!! (hehehe)

Bucky: I ended up going for dirty rice as I lack the ingredients to modify your dirty pork chops into dirty liver... BUT I do have two gorgeous, thick pork chops in the freezer and Im going shopping today. Im trying that recipy you posted ASAP, it really sounds like my kind of thing. BBQ sounds great too... I cant do pate' because my sister (the profetional chef) botched a pate' once... it was so scary. Also my way of cooking is that I make something for lunch and if there's a LOT of leftovers, it's lunch tomorrow. If there's a little bit, its dinner and if there's not much at all I make something for dinner and have the little bit as a snack at some point. I come from a "lunch" culture instead of a "dinner" culture.

She took a spoon out of it and the hole she made with the spoon started to fill up with blood. It had one of those "lasting effects". Same with chicken livers... my mom used to put chicken livers and hearts (often still attatched to each other) in a clear broth where you could study them in all their anatomical detail. It kinda ruined chicken innards for me.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:38 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

lugaru, see if you can find the "Mount Olive" brand hot banana pepper rings. they seem to work the best with the dirty chops, because the peppers are just a little hot, and the brine a little sweet. if not, i opt for pickled pepperoncinis. to make the rub for 2 good sized chops (you don't need much because you still want to taste the pork), i put around 7 or 8 black peppercorns and 3 or 4 allspice berries in a mortar and pestle. grind them up, add an equal amount of powdered garlic, and a good pinch of sea salt. sometimes i also add a pinch of onion powder and powdered cayenne. rub on chops, and either grill (outdoors is best for the charcoal flavor), or grill pan them until medium rare to medium. top with the pickled peppers, and a splash of the brine. serve with a plain starch like wild/long grain rice, and fried sweet plantains.
let me know how they came out.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #13
Head Chef

I'm not a liver fan but I have cooked it in the past for others.

Fry in skillet with desired amount of cooking oil and sliced onions and when done remove only the liver and set aside. Add a small amount of flour to drippins and onions in skillet and add desired amount of hot water Stir to consistency desired to make a gravy. Salt and pepper. Then pour over cooked liver.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #14
Certified Executive Chef

Anyone remember rumaki?????? that lovely appetizer of half a water chestnut, piece of chicken liver, wrap in bacon, seal with a tooth pick and broil until bacon is crispy and have a good dipping sauce.......love these

EDIT THOUGHT: I now remebered a recipe using chicken liver recipe I used to cook. Saute smashed garlic clove and chopped onions until clear, add sliced mushrooms and saute until they loose their juices and begin to carmelize. Add quartered, lightly floured and s/p chicken livers and saute until done. Deglaze pan with chicken stock/broth and white vermouth and a couple splashes of worcheschire. Simmer until reduced and serve over rice.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I'm going to play odd-cook-out on this one. Lugaru, you and everyone else have some great ideas. Unfortunately, I cannot stand liver. In fact, I've had Dirty Rice before, and this is the absolute ONLY way you'll get me to eat liver. Otherwise, I'm going to use it for catfish bait.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:12 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
lugaru, see if you can find the "Mount Olive" brand hot banana pepper rings. they seem to work the best with the dirty chops, because the peppers are just a little hot, and the brine a little sweet.
Mount Olive is the only kind I've ever tried... amazing stuff. I actually kept a jar in the fridge at work and would serve myself 5 to 10 in a cup to munch on when things got really slow at my desk.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:38 PM   #17
Certified Executive Chef

I got hungry for chopped liver and called around to find chicken liver and/or calves liver, no market has it, only beef liver which belongs on the bottom of my worn out shoes. I will not be happy until I have some chopped liver, maybe I will check the telephone book for a deli here that would have it.