"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Is oven frying healthier than pan frying or deep frying? I thought I read some where it said oven frying uses less oil. Also read oven frying is faux frying, and really oven frying is baking. Everything is done in the oven when doing oven frying...but just how much oil do you need. I don't think you submerge the chicken in oil,so what would be the right amt. of oil to use?

Old 09-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Thanks chief long wind of the north, I posted the above post the same time you did.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Oven frying is mostly coating foods that you would normally deep fry such as French Fries or Fried Chicken and placing it in the oven to cook instead of a vat full of oil. And yes, it could be considered healthier than deep frying.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
Master Chef

But your recipe is not oven frying.

It's also not BBQ, really. It's baked chicken with ranch dressing and BBQ sauce. Sounds a bit salty ....
Old 09-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
The recipe I have says to mix 1 package of thick and creamy ranch dip with oil until blended ,brush on wings .bake for 30 min. At 350..last 20 minutes. Baste with BBQ sauce. The question I have is when I put the ranch dressing mixed with oil if this process for the chicken be consider oven frying? I thought bec. Has oil on it it could be consider that. Thanks
No, it's not frying.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Thanks everybody for your help and advice.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I have never been so proud of my new bride. Shortly after we were married she told me she was making bbq chicken for supper. My mouth watered all day. I had a small lunch so I had more room for supper. I hurried home right after work. The grill was cold. I asked why she didn't make bbq chicken? She said she did and pulled a pan of chicken out of the oven. I said that is not bbq........That is when the fight started.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:07 AM   #18
Head Chef

If I'm talking to a cook, BBQ is one thing. If I'm talking to a random person, it may be something quite different. To the average home cook, BBQ is anything with barbecue sauce on it, and they will fight that belief to the death. It's simply not worth the hassle to disagree. They will also tell you that anything cooked on a grill is grilled (i.e. the terms barbecue and grilling are interchangeable), another belief that will go against the grain of the purist.

Most folks here know that BBQ is slow cooking on a grill or smoker, and BBQ sauce isn't even a requirement. The purist would say that it must be done over a good hardwood charcoal, but I'm not that rigid in my definition - I use a Weber gas grill.

Grilling is cooking hot and fast on a grill. I still prefer a gas grill, but in it's purest form, a griller will again say that charcoal is a necessity. I guess it just depends on how dedicated one is to the craft. Good results can be had without charcoal, and bad results can come out of the best charcoal grill.

It's easiest to just try and understand what language a person is speaking, then respond in kind. It makes the world a happier place.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:12 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

wow, rp, that is it in a nutshell.

very well said!!!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:20 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, so if i put a chicken or pieces of chicken in my vertical gas fired smoker over apple and hickory chips at 225 for 4 to 6 hours, then slather them in bbq sauce, pop 'em on the grill to cook in the sauce and crisp/char the skin, is it not bbq?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq, chicken