BBQ chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
The recipe I have says to mix 1 package of thick and creamy ranch dip with oil until blended ,brush on wings .bake for 30 min. At 350..last 20 minutes. Baste with BBQ sauce. The question I have is when I put the ranch dressing mixed with oil if this process for the chicken be consider oven frying? I thought bec. Has oil on it it could be consider that. Thanks

I thought bec. Of the oil spread on the chicken it would be considered oven frying. What is oven frying?

I say to forget the ranch dressing mix. The company tells you to add it to mashed potatoes, use it with chicken, put it in soups, use as a sauce for veggies, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see them tell you to put it on watermellon.:ohmy: IMHO, you are better off simply seasoning your chicken with any, or a mixture of the following: salt, coarse-grind pepper, sage, rosemary, basil, oragano, garlic, or paprika. I often smear my favorite hot sauce on chicken before grilling, or baking.

A simple coating of salt, pepper, and any of the above, and popped into the oven will give you exceptional roasted chicken, if the meat is cooked to the proper temperature.

Our favorite oven-fried chicken goes like this; Make egg wash with an egg and a little milk. Combine 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper to 1 cup AP flour. Dredge skin-on chicken in egg wash, then coat in flour. Fry in 3 inches oil until lightly browned. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and place into a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. rEmove and serve with your favorite sides.

My favorite seasoned flour recipe is this (not so secret blend of 13 herbs and spices :chef:) -
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 dash Chinese 5-spice powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder

Some like the sour flavor component that is part of ranch style dressing. I choose to skip the sour flavor. But whether you use the basic flour and salt coating, or my above recipe, by pan frying in shallow oil, then baking as instructed above, your chicken will be light, tender, and so juicy it will squirt you when you bite into it, without being greasy. Have napkins ready.:yum:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oven frying suppose to be better? Just what is it exactly?

Oven frying would consist of filling up your oven with cooking oil, heating it to somewhere between 320F and 375F and submersing the chicken in it. Otherwise I don't care how much oil you put directly onto the chicken, you are either baking, roasting, or broiling.

Oven frying suppose to be better? Just what is it exactly?

Frying is defined as cooking with hot oil. If you put even a little oil onto a cookie sheet, or foil lined cookie sheet, and get the oil up to frying temperature, you are frying. You don't have to immerse the food to fry it. You can fry burgers in a dry pan as the fat melts and heats the food. You can fry bacon in a dry pan as well. If you place that same bacon, in the same pan, into a hot oven, the bacon still fries in the pan.

The method for oven cooking the chicken, where the chicken was first fried on the stove top, then placed in the oven could be considered oven frying. If you cut potatoes into chunks, drizzle with oil, and paprika, an place it into the oven, it's oven frying.

hot fat evaporates the water, and replaces it in the outer surface of the food. That is frying.

If food is placed into an oven, without any kind of added fat, then you are baking, roasting, or braising, depending on the technique.

That's my best explanation of oven frying, where the heat from the oven heats some type of pan, with fat, to fry the food. Hot air also transfers heat to the food, which makes the food cook faster than if simply pan frying.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Is oven frying healthier than pan frying or deep frying? I thought I read some where it said oven frying uses less oil. Also read oven frying is faux frying, and really oven frying is baking. Everything is done in the oven when doing oven frying...but just how much oil do you need. I don't think you submerge the chicken in oil,so what would be the right amt. of oil to use?

Thanks chief long wind of the north, I posted the above post the same time you did.

Last edited:
Oven frying is mostly coating foods that you would normally deep fry such as French Fries or Fried Chicken and placing it in the oven to cook instead of a vat full of oil. And yes, it could be considered healthier than deep frying. :angel:

But your recipe is not oven frying.

It's also not BBQ, really. It's baked chicken with ranch dressing and BBQ sauce. Sounds a bit salty ....

The recipe I have says to mix 1 package of thick and creamy ranch dip with oil until blended ,brush on wings .bake for 30 min. At 350..last 20 minutes. Baste with BBQ sauce. The question I have is when I put the ranch dressing mixed with oil if this process for the chicken be consider oven frying? I thought bec. Has oil on it it could be consider that. Thanks

No, it's not frying.

I have never been so proud of my new bride. Shortly after we were married she told me she was making bbq chicken for supper. My mouth watered all day. I had a small lunch so I had more room for supper. I hurried home right after work. The grill was cold. I asked why she didn't make bbq chicken? She said she did and pulled a pan of chicken out of the oven. I said that is not bbq........That is when the fight started.

If I'm talking to a cook, BBQ is one thing. If I'm talking to a random person, it may be something quite different. To the average home cook, BBQ is anything with barbecue sauce on it, and they will fight that belief to the death. It's simply not worth the hassle to disagree. They will also tell you that anything cooked on a grill is grilled (i.e. the terms barbecue and grilling are interchangeable), another belief that will go against the grain of the purist.

Most folks here know that BBQ is slow cooking on a grill or smoker, and BBQ sauce isn't even a requirement. The purist would say that it must be done over a good hardwood charcoal, but I'm not that rigid in my definition - I use a Weber gas grill.

Grilling is cooking hot and fast on a grill. I still prefer a gas grill, but in it's purest form, a griller will again say that charcoal is a necessity. I guess it just depends on how dedicated one is to the craft. Good results can be had without charcoal, and bad results can come out of the best charcoal grill.

It's easiest to just try and understand what language a person is speaking, then respond in kind. It makes the world a happier place.

ok, so if i put a chicken or pieces of chicken in my vertical gas fired smoker over apple and hickory chips at 225 for 4 to 6 hours, then slather them in bbq sauce, pop 'em on the grill to cook in the sauce and crisp/char the skin, is it not bbq?

Back
Top Bottom