"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
Cook

Usually the La Preferida brand that are in our Mexican isle, 2 pound bags. I never cook more than 2 cups dried. Maybe I just need to get used to sloppy beans, it just sucks that in the cans they are all perfect.

Pinto will split when not in the skins, there are never split beans in the brand of canned we buy.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahan9119 View Post
Usually the La Preferida brand that are in our Mexican isle, 2 pound bags. I never cook more than 2 cups dried. Maybe I just need to get used to sloppy beans, it just sucks that in the cans they are all perfect.

Pinto will split when not in the skins, there are never split beans in the brand of canned we buy.
That's because they have broken down to form the liquid the "perfect" beans are packed in. Have you noticed the grainy texture of the liquid you are rinsing off? That texture is the broken down beans.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Thanks for the responses. I don't see any glaring problems with technique, i.e. cooking 10 pounds of beans in a 5 qt stock pot.

Commercial canneries cook hundreds of pounds of beans at once in giant kettles. Quality control would help prevent imperfections in the final product.

If you must have perfect beans you could try draining the cooked beans in a colander. Capture the liquid in a mixing bowl and drain through a cheese cloth. Pick out any skinless or split beans and re-combine with the filtered juices.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It never bothered me. When the beans are done, I usually mash some of them to make a thicker liquid. The skins are pure fiber and should as such be good for your digestive tract.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Perhaps the canned beans are made from pulses that are not quite as dried? You might try the dried products from Jack Rabbit and Goya.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

don't like bean skins coming off

Am having the same problem, but didn't used to. Kicked your message up googling problem. This was five years ago, but am hoping to hear if you found a solution. I didn't used to have this problem. Also noticed the skins on white beans are WAY thicker and toughter than they used to be. Is there maybe some GMO type effect happening here? My destroyed batch of beans was grown in Moses Lake, WA.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I never noticed if the skins come off. We usually do our beans in the slow cooker over night. With bacon or salt pork.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
Master Chef

Soak the beans is salted water as the salt slightly toughens the skins. It does not keep the beans hard as some people say. I know this because I use salted water for both soaking, and cooking. The beans stay intact better. Do not add any ingredient that is acidic, as this will prevent the beans from cooking all the way through. But salt is a must, IMO. It also adds to the flavor of the beans.

Instead of soaking, I usually boil the dried beans in salted water, remove, cover, and let sit for 20 minutes. I then cook until tender. It takes about 40 minutes for the beans to be completely cooked.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote