"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cool Beef Bourginon advice

Hello

I am not much of a cook but I made beef Bourginon following a recipe online. I used beef shin pieces soaked
overnight in some nice red wine wine. I cooked it in the oven on gas mark 1/4 for 7 hours.

It was my first attempt & even though the sauce flavour was tasty the meat had shrunk a lot into small pieces and seem fatty in places (soft jelly type fat) which i didn't like.
I had envisioned it having large juicy tender pieces of meat in it

What did I do wrong?
What meat cut do you advise?
Should I have used a higher heat to break down the fat?

I appreciate advice from some beef stew pros!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Beef shin doesn't have large juicy tender pieces of meat in it. I make this dish with boneless chuck roast cut up into 2" pieces.

Gas mark 1/4 = 225F, too low to do the job. I'd go with gas mark 3 (325F) next time.

I assume the pot contained more ingredients than just meat and wine and you just didn't list them.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dommi35 View Post
Hello

I am not much of a cook but I made beef Bourguignon following a recipe online. I used beef shin pieces soaked overnight in some nice red wine wine. I cooked it in the oven on gas mark 1/4 for 7 hours.

It was my first attempt & even though the sauce flavour was tasty the meat had shrunk a lot into small pieces and seem fatty in places (soft jelly type fat) which i didn't like.
I had envisioned it having large juicy tender pieces of meat in it

What did I do wrong?
What meat cut do you advise?
Should I have used a higher heat to break down the fat?

I appreciate advice from some beef stew pros!
You answered your own question. Beef Stew is made with meat that is less tender. That is why it is braised. The next time use a cut of Chuck meat. One that is specifically meant for a beef stew. If in doubt, ask the butcher. He can lead you to the right cut. It isn't so much the temperature that breaks down the fat and meat, as the liquid and long slow cooking. Low and slow is the way to go for a beef stew.

Go the beef meat recipes here on DC, and you will find some excellent recipes for beef stew. Along with recommendations for the right cut of meat.

Oh, and welcome to DC. You are a brave person for a self confessed novice cook to try such a dish on your first outing. You are going to love it hear.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Hi Andy,
thanks for reply.
yes I had fresh herbs, mini onions/mushrooms, garlic, stock and the juice from the marinade (which contained 1 bottle of decent red wine). The recipe said shin or chuck so I asked the butcher at sainsburys. I had picked up some beef stew packs but she said they wouldn't be right for slow cooking. She didn't know what Chuck was but sold me the shin (which looked dark and tasty).
The recipe was for stove cooking but I was advised to slow cook so I googled and it said gas 1/4. If I had used gas 3 how long would I cook for?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Addie- thanks too. Next time I'll find somewhere that sells chuck and knows what it is! lol
I'll check out the recipes on the site too :-)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Hi Andy,
thanks for reply.
yes I had fresh herbs, mini onions/mushrooms, garlic, stock and the juice from the marinade (which contained 1 bottle of decent red wine). The recipe said shin or chuck so I asked the butcher at sainsburys. I had picked up some beef stew packs but she said they wouldn't be right for slow cooking. She didn't know what Chuck was but sold me the shin (which looked dark and tasty).
The recipe was for stove cooking but I was advised to slow cook so I googled and it said gas 1/4. If I had used gas 3 how long would I cook for?
2-3 hours. Chuck is from the front shoulder of the steer.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Hi Andy,
thanks for reply.

Something labeled "beef stew meat" is probably ONLY right for slow cooking. A quick google suggests that chuck is widely avail in the UK so I would suggest finding someone else to sell you meat.

It's also better to cook it in the oven to avoid scorching
Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hi Andy,
thanks for reply.
Sounds like she had some shin bones she wanted to get rid of. And I can't imagaine anyone who sells meat, not knowinig what chuck is. Find a store that knows their product. The next time a butcher tells you, "I don'tknow what that is," run out the door.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Sounds like she had some shin bones she wanted to get rid of. And I can't imagaine anyone who sells meat, not knowinig what chuck is. Find a store that knows their product. The next time a butcher tells you, "I don'tknow what that is," run out the door.
lolol!
She was young & very enthusiastic. She had recently trained and was so keen to help & very excited about using her new sharp knife. She chopped my meat up beautifully...
I will definitely use a real butcher next time though
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I've been looking online for 'chuck' steak and no supermarket seems to sell it. I'm happy to use a butcher instead but was wondering since there are so many cuts sold in supermarkets would any of the following be alternative names for 'chuck' ?

1. Braising steak
2. casserole beef
3. stewing steak

Tags
beef