Beef Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
I had real beef, made from pan goo, gravy this weekend, and I've been eating mashed potato's ever since. Cause real gravy is good. I have achieved another level of enlightenment!
My wife made it, must give credit where it's due. We started off making beef stew in the crockpot and she browned the beef in the SS skillet and decided the pan goo was to good to toss. So we whipped up a second meal to complement the gravy.

White sauce was the first thing I was taught to make and from there I made home made gravy. I can't stand can gravy or what they usually serve in cafes. There is nothing like fresh gravy on potatoes weather it be beef or chicken or pork.My favorit is mushroom chicken gravy on mashed potatoes.

before i knew how to de-fat gravies, i used to take the entire pan drippings from a turkey and make gravy. i blended the fat right in. it was so thick and delicious, but it must have been a thousand calories per cup.

buckytom said:
before i knew how to de-fat gravies, i used to take the entire pan drippings from a turkey and make gravy. i blended the fat right in. it was so thick and delicious, but it must have been a thousand calories per cup.

I still do that.. with beef and chicken...
How do you take the fat out?
Yummy!

remove the drippings from the pan, deglaze the pan scraping all of the browned bits, and add to the drippings. put this in the fridge until it cools. the fat will float to the top, so you can spoon it off, or soak it off with paper towels. it will harden overnight on top, making it even easier to remove.
unfortunately, the turkey or chicken will also cool off too much by the time the fat rises, so i use it for gravy the next time i make it. it is an ongoing process kinda thing.

Gravy and mashed potatoes is the ultimate comfort food. I also like to eat it on fresh white bread or toast. Yummy :!:

Just so's ya know's; If you place a lid on the pan when browning ground beef, then pour off the liquid, you can rinse the ground beef to further remove the fat, add a bit of salt and fry for another minute or so to develop the flavor and brown it a bit more. Take that poured-off juice and refrigerate it. The result is a beautifully gelled aspic that makes the best gravy. Of course you lift off the hardened fat and discard. Just add salt, some onion, and garlic to the aspic and reheat to liquify and cook the veggies. Thicken with a roux, or corn starch slurry. It doesn't have the brown color, but does have all of the flavor. And you can add other things to give the gravy color, or caramelize the onion and garlic first to get the more traditional brown look of gravy. I'm not that picky about color. Flavor and texture are what I'm all about. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom