"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Beef Heart

I have noticed that people make the mistake of trusting their grocer, butcher. When it comes to beef heart how it is raised and handled after it is butchered is reflected in its taste. I have tasted beef heart that had a flavor like liver, I mean gamey liver. But also, I have had beef heart that was so delicate in flavor that no one would turn their nose up at it. If you get a good one, blanch in water just a little and then grill with Hmm, maybe olive oil. Donot under any circumstances over cook it! Another way would be to wash it thoroughly and slice and wash again and then I simply saute and maybe leave it a little pink in the center. Oh, yeah, horrors! It is an intense protein high, love it when it is good. Also, by the way, you can do something similar to octopus. We joke that it has michelin stamped on the side.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Master Chef

How true. Mom bought one for Dad, then he got sick, and I wound up cooking the heart. It is so damned tough. Long, slow, and low would be my advice and mom's would probably be pressure cooking it.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Mom used to buy beef heart because it was cheap. She would stuff it, braise it, then roast it. Served it sliced relatively thin. It was OK.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

It can work well if you want to add another flavour dimension to home-made sausages. Cheap bulk as well.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Master Chef

I used beef heart in a good beef stew. I simply cubed it, browned it until it was just lightly browned. Seasoned simply with salt and garlic. I ate a chunk and found the meat to be rich in flavor, more so than most other beef cuts, and tender. I then put the meat together with potatoes, carrots, and green beans in the slow cooker overnight. I made a roux the next morning and used the pan juices from the slow cooker to make a really nice gravy (again, the heart was very rich in flavor. I seasoned the gravy with a bit more garlic, not to give it a garlic flavor mind you, but just enough to accentuate the beef flavor. The gravy went back into the slow cooker to cover everything, and I had a great beef stew for the Sunday pot luck after church. Everyone who tried it were asking how I got such a great flavor into the stew. I didn't tell anyone that they were eating beef heart until they'd finished their plates. Most of the crowd said they never would have purchased a beef heart, but that the stew was great. They loved it.

Beef heart is a stronger flavored meat, as it is a very well exercised muscle, with lots of blood feeding it. If cooked improperly, just like a bottom round, a shank, or even a tougher chunk of shoulder meat, it can get pretty chewy. But treat it right, and it will reward you with great flavor, and can be as tender as butter.

Now I just have to get up the nerve to buy some beef tongue. I hear its very good as well.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Now I just have to get up the nerve to buy some beef tongue. I hear its very good as well.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Treat it like brisket--brine it and cook it in pickling spices--yum-yum. I love beef heart and tongue, when prepared right.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Treat it like brisket--brine it and cook it in pickling spices--yum-yum. I love beef heart and tongue, when prepared right.
+1 Just wish I could get Shrek to try either.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
+1 Just wish I could get Shrek to try either.
Ditto with DH--won't eat organ meat. I cooked a deer heart--he wouldn't even taste it.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
If it will help you, AFAIK the outer surface (the part that interfaces with the hay) is lost in the cooking process, and all that is left is the muscle.

I haven't have beef tongue in years. I'd love some more, please.

I'd go for the beef heart too. I often cook chicken liver, heart and gizzard while I'm cooking a whole chicken, and "sample" them as the chef's benefit. :)

Gotta have something to go with your wine while your cooking and tasting...
Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
Master Chef

I had a funny story with hart. I made a stew ones, we were just married, no kids. My wife and I ate for three days. She loved it. Kept asking me what meat was it, I kept saying beef. On a third day I admitted that it was hart, she almost killed me. After that she always checks what I am making, 20 years, and she still doesn't trust me.

Tags
beef