Beef Stew Too Winey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wine is also acidic so make sure if you omit the wine from the dish that you balance it with another acid, and not just replace with water or stock.

I think it's been hinted at above, but you can always try a different wine. If you've tried merlot and didn't like it you can always try sweeter wine, or a blush, or a white wine. If you have tomato in your sauce, you can also just use a splash of vodka. Tomato has some alcohol soluble flavors and vodka will have a very neutral flavor in the recipe.

I can understand adding wine to a stew to add the flavor of the wine, in spite of any alcohol the wine contains (I've always presumed alcohol evaporates from the heat of cooking). I'm curious what adding alcohol without flavor (vodka) brings to the recipe. Does the addition of alcohol change any of the cooking or flavor parameters?

No mayo, I'm not sure if I agree with replacing wine with "another" acid (I'm not sure wine is acidic at all), but if anybody wants to do that I'd suggest using balsamic vinegar. I've often enjoyed the flavor complexity that balsamic vinegar brings to recipes.

Last edited:
I can understand adding wine to a stew to add the flavor of the wine, in spite of any alcohol the wine contains (I've always presumed alcohol evaporates from the heat of cooking). I'm curious what adding alcohol without flavor (vodka) brings to the recipe. Does the addition of alcohol change any of the cooking or flavor parameters?

No mayo, I'm not sure if I agree with replacing wine with "another" acid (not sure wine's acidic at all), but if anybody wants to do that I'd suggest using balsamic vinegar. I've often enjoyed the flavor complexity that balsamic vinegar brings to recipes.

Greg, all the alcohol does not evaporate out. Depending on the method and duration of the cooking various amounts are lost but never all of it and seldom most of it.

Chart values are offset by one line but it'll give you the data.

Cooking Method
Alcohol Remaining
Alcohol added to boiling liquid and removed from the heat

85%
Flamed
75%
Stirred in and baked or simmered for:
15 minutes
40%
30 minutes
35%
45 minutes
30%
1 hour
25%
1 1/2 hours
20%
2 hours
10%
2 1/2 hours
5%

There are certain flavor compounds in some foods that are alcohol soluble so require the presence of alcohol to b released. Vodka would do that for you.

Wine is an acidic ingredient as is balsamic vinegar. Balsamic vinegar could work as a replacement for wine in some recipes.

No mayo, I'm not sure if I agree with replacing wine with "another" acid (I'm not sure wine is acidic at all), but if anybody wants to do that I'd suggest using balsamic vinegar. I've often enjoyed the flavor complexity that balsamic vinegar brings to recipes.
Wine contains anywhere from 5.5-10% acidity (I know this because I make wine). The sweeter the wine, the more acidic it is. Though vinegar has roughly the same acidity level as wine, I'm not sure I would recommend replacing wine in a recipe with an equal amount of vinegar, as it has a completely different flavor profile.

I agree that I wouldn't replace wine with an equal amount of vinegar. Just off the top of my head I'd suggest taking out a cup of wine and adding a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.

As I said earlier in the topic I'd reduce the amount of red wine or switch to white wine, or just use beef stock. In fact upon further thought I'd suggest switching to beef stock and adding a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. I'm not convinced that the stew needs any alcohol at all. YMMV

Last edited:
Alcohol releases flavor components in foods that water or oil can't.

Tomatoes, for example. That's the reason you see so many tomato sauce recipes call for red wine or vodka.

Vodka is used when you don't want to impart much additional flavor to the food. Other spirits like rum, bourbon or wine are used for both chemical and flavor reasons.

Alcohol releases flavor components in foods that water or oil can't.

Tomatoes, for example. That's the reason you see so many tomato sauce recipes call for red wine or vodka.

It's interesting that sugar is added to so many tomato recipes, to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes.

I am one who is opposed to adding sugar. I don't care for sweet sauce. I don't think it's necessary to add sugar to mask acidity. If you can't find less acidic tomatoes, more 'normal' ingredients can be used to counteract acidic sauce.

I am one who is opposed to adding sugar. I don't care for sweet sauce. I don't think it's necessary to add sugar to mask acidity. If you can't find less acidic tomatoes, more 'normal' ingredients can be used to counteract acidic sauce.

This

You guys nailed it, I wasn't saying replace with an equal amount of vinegar or something. In something like beef stew where flavors mix and muddle, acidity will brighten it up substantially. If the wine was to be the only substantial acidic ingredient then a substitute to brighten up the dish would be good IMO, just not an equal amount. I think sherry or balsamic vinegar would be a good addition. Even a squeeze of lemon juice at the end might work.

First, let me say that I'm not a fan of too much wine in food. I like some, but I don't want it to overpower. It should be used more like a seasoning.

However, about three or four years ago I found the following beef stew recipe on Simply Recipes. I was hesitant to try it because it called for a LOT of alcohol. 1 cup of red wine AND 1 cup of Guinness Stout. But the reviews were favorable so I gave it a shot.

It's simply the best beef stew recipe I've ever had. Give it a try. I think you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was how well the flavor combination works.

Recipe here:
Irish Beef Stew Recipe | Simply Recipes
Thanks. I'll give this recipe a try. It appears to be very similar to the one I used a few years ago. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom