Beginner briner has questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ps8

Senior Cook
OK, I've bought some kosher salt, have a pot big enough for my whole chicken and I'm almost ready to go. This is for a chicken that I intend to oven roast tomorrow (Saturday), but reheat and serve for lunch on Sunday. So far, I only have two questions:

Do I use sugar or not? And if not, does that mean I should increase the amount of salt used?

Sugar is optional. If you choose to skip the sugar, keep the salt quantity the same. You can also flavor the brine with your favorite herbs and spices.

i posted a few brining recipes on here. i'll check to see if they are still listed.

i stick with equal parts kosher salt and sugar (white or brown), and i almost ALWAYS add-in a little dark rum.

And I would skip the sugar.

It is one of those things that you will have to try both ways to see which works for you as there is no right or wrong answer. It is all up to personal taste. The sugar does not make the brine work or not work. It just makes it taste more to your liking or less to you liking.

Those that use sugar in their brines usually say that it does not make the meat taste sweet, but it actually brings out the savory flavor in the meat. It is sort of the same way that a little salt will help bring out the flavor in chocolate.

I'm going with no sugar this time and see how it works. Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom