"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 09-16-2004, 06:16 PM   #11
Sous Chef
You'd probably want to take a look at Shirley Coriher's (I think that's how you spell her name) books. She's often on Good Eats and explains things from the food science point of view.

A big piece of advice I have for you is to develop a sense of taste. If you can't taste your food and all the nuances of it, you will have a hard time becomming a better chef.

Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:26 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
yea i started out young too and im still young lol i started off with the washington post - "if you don't get it you don't get it"

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #13
i checked the washington post... i couldnt find any archive for the food section so I guess I will just have to visit it on a daily/weekly basis.

Thanks for the Cooksillustrated.com suggestion. Really nice site...

I typed in that Shirley's name into google and it corrected it to this: Shirley Corriher. Just in case anyone wants to know. But thanks alot psiguyy
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:20 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Will, I know you asked for websites, but do check out your local library; they're a great resource for cookbooks without having to spend money!
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:03 AM   #15
I have to admit that I didnt check the local library. I had problems finding science books regarding another subject (biology in marine aquariums) so I didnt even try for cooking. Perhaps I should.

Gives me something to do during lunch :)

Thanks alot for the info!
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 06:37 PM   #16
Sous Chef
Will, instead of looking for cooking books in the library, look for food science books. I think that's what you're looking for. You'd probably have better luck looking for food science books in a college library.
Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:43 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by mudbug
Will, don't know if this helps because I haven't read it, but there's a book out called "What Einstein Told [or Said To] His Cook," Robert W-something (Wolke?) is the author.
Yes this book by Robert Wolke is amazing. I have read it many times now and continue to learn tons from it. The chapter on salt is one of my favorites. Every person who enjoys Good Eats should get this book.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:13 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
Hi Will,
I love the chemistry of cooking and have many books on the subject. The only web sites that I have found over the years are geared more for kids. I listed one below. I also have listed a few books you might want to check out. My favorite is On Food and Cooking. It was used as a textbook in a food chem. class I took in culinary school. I still have it and still use it.

On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee

The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore by Harold McGee

The New Kitchen Science: A Guide to Knowing the Hows and Whys for Fun and Success in the Kitchen by Howard Hillman

The Inquisitive Cook (Accidental Scientist)
By A. Gardiner, B. Wilson

Cookbook Decoder or Culinary Alchemy Explained by Arthur Grosser

Chef Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:34 AM   #19
Master Chef
Cooks Illustrated and "America's Test Kitchen" (a PBS show) are one and the same. Not quite as nitty-gritty as Alton Brown, but in its own way as good, in that they do a couple of recipes from the ground up, but also taste test ingredients and cookware appropriate to the dish they are cooking. Great if you're starting from scratch, you can find out what is worth the $$ to buy. I love it because rarely do the most expensive ingredients or cookware come out as the best.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:38 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
Claire is right about Cooks Illsutrated and the TV show. Also, the dishes they cook on the show are ones suitable for beginners, without a lot of tortuous technique and esoteric ingredients.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote