Beginner Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will

Cook
Greetings all. Im very new to cooking (although I am young so at least Im starting early). I want to learn how to cook effectively and even start experimenting :) However, Im having some problems.

I love watching "Good Eats" on FoodTV because the host (Alton Brown) not only explains the recipe, he explains the details behind it. He goes into everything that is going on, not just what to add and how long to watch it.

My question is does anyone know of any online resources that provide the same type of information? Sure, I can always just look at recipes, but I really want to understand what is going on so I can think about the logic of it myself.

Oh, and I ask for online resources because im severly limited on income (college student).

Sorry, Im a programmer by nature and always want to know how things work (down to the nitty-gritty). Is anyone else like this?

Thanks for any and all advice in advance!

Welcome, Will! You'll find yourself in some very good company here and it's good to have you join us.

I certainly understand your nature -- I was an MCSE in NT4 and 2000 prior to tech death, and am a big AB fan. Like most SE's, my closet hangers are almost exactly an inch and a quarter apart. Yep, I understand your need for nth detail.

Of course, I don't have a website to recommend to you, but I'm pretty sure that one exists. And if there is ANYONE here who would know what that site is, that person would likely be Wasabi Woman. Send her your question and stand back to be amazed!

Good to have you with us, Will.

Wasabi Woman? is that a user on the board? Not sure I know of her.

Yes, Wasabi Woman is her user name. Find her posts under Search, then by author. If fading memory serves me from a few months ago at the FN boards, Wasabi Woman also has a programming background. Seem to recall that, anyway.

Will, don't know if this helps because I haven't read it, but there's a book out called "What Einstein Told [or Said To] His Cook," Robert W-something (Wolke?) is the author. Robt W has a regular column in the Washington Post food section (Wednesdays) that's about the science aspects of food and cooking. You might try to find the book in the library or check out WaPo online.

Washington Post hunh? I will have to check that out. I used to live in the MD area (moving back soon) and never thought about it. Thanks for the input.

What is FN boards? Sorry, dont know that acronym :)

Check out Cooksillustrated.com or invest in a years subscription, They break down recipes and rate different things every month. GREAT source.
And no outside advertising either, like a consumer reports for cooks.

You'd probably want to take a look at Shirley Coriher's (I think that's how you spell her name) books. She's often on Good Eats and explains things from the food science point of view.

A big piece of advice I have for you is to develop a sense of taste. If you can't taste your food and all the nuances of it, you will have a hard time becomming a better chef.

yea i started out young too and im still young lol i started off with the washington post - "if you don't get it you don't get it"

i checked the washington post... i couldnt find any archive for the food section so I guess I will just have to visit it on a daily/weekly basis.

Thanks for the Cooksillustrated.com suggestion. Really nice site...

I typed in that Shirley's name into google and it corrected it to this: Shirley Corriher. Just in case anyone wants to know. But thanks alot psiguyy

Will, I know you asked for websites, but do check out your local library; they're a great resource for cookbooks without having to spend money!

I have to admit that I didnt check the local library. I had problems finding science books regarding another subject (biology in marine aquariums) so I didnt even try for cooking. Perhaps I should.

Gives me something to do during lunch :)

Thanks alot for the info!

Will, instead of looking for cooking books in the library, look for food science books. I think that's what you're looking for. You'd probably have better luck looking for food science books in a college library.

mudbug said:
Will, don't know if this helps because I haven't read it, but there's a book out called "What Einstein Told [or Said To] His Cook," Robert W-something (Wolke?) is the author.

Yes this book by Robert Wolke is amazing. I have read it many times now and continue to learn tons from it. The chapter on salt is one of my favorites. Every person who enjoys Good Eats should get this book.

Hi Will,
I love the chemistry of cooking and have many books on the subject. The only web sites that I have found over the years are geared more for kids. I listed one below. I also have listed a few books you might want to check out. My favorite is On Food and Cooking. It was used as a textbook in a food chem. class I took in culinary school. I still have it and still use it.

http://www.discoveryeurope2.com/kitchen/index.php

On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee

The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore by Harold McGee

The New Kitchen Science: A Guide to Knowing the Hows and Whys for Fun and Success in the Kitchen by Howard Hillman

The Inquisitive Cook (Accidental Scientist)
By A. Gardiner, B. Wilson

Cookbook Decoder or Culinary Alchemy Explained by Arthur Grosser

;)

Cooks Illustrated and "America's Test Kitchen" (a PBS show) are one and the same. Not quite as nitty-gritty as Alton Brown, but in its own way as good, in that they do a couple of recipes from the ground up, but also taste test ingredients and cookware appropriate to the dish they are cooking. Great if you're starting from scratch, you can find out what is worth the $$ to buy. I love it because rarely do the most expensive ingredients or cookware come out as the best.

Claire is right about Cooks Illsutrated and the TV show. Also, the dishes they cook on the show are ones suitable for beginners, without a lot of tortuous technique and esoteric ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom