Belgian Waffle help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laikaislost

Assistant Cook
First time posting, so direct me if im out of line :)

Recently I bought a new belgian waffle maker, its very nice, and makes great waffles. However I am having trouble with a specific waffle batter that does not rise enough to fill the deep pockets of the iron.

The recipie I use is a whole wheat and soy flour batter (high protein) that has some honey and sugar for flavor and sweetness. Its basically a recipie from "Recipies for a Small Planet" so I wont post it here for possible copyright reasons(?). But its fairly standard there are only a few minor modifications by me for texture reasons.

Now, I love this batter, as it makes FANTASTIC pancakes and great thin waffles. But, if I make the batter like normal for waffles in my belgian iron, it does not fluff up enough to fill the deep pockets. Does anyone know what I can modify in the recipe to help them rise a bit more in the iron? They currently come out the correct texture, moisture, doneness, etc. But the top side is not browned since the batter does not rise much.
:question::question::question:

Thanks!

Whole Wheat Belgian Waffles

I use a round Belgian waffle maker, but you can use a normal waffle maker I'm sure.
Soy flour is NOT helpful in this recipe. It does not promote rising.

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 Tbls. sugar
2 Tbls. baking powder
1/8 tsp. of salt
1 1/3 cups whole milk
2 large eggs
3 Tbls. canola oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat your waffle maker. Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk the two eggs in another bowl with the milk, oil and vanilla. Whisk together the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients, but don't be concerned about about a few lumps. When the lamp on your waffle maker goes off, spray with cooking spray, and spoon some batter onto the hot iron. Cook according to the instructions of your waffle iron, probably 2-3 minutes or until it stops steaming.

This recipe makes 4-5 Belgian waffles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom