Best by Date?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"What would be an oops? I don't see where anyone claimed there were."

people have claimed there are none, but in fact there are some.
look it up.
research it.
follow not the herd, for they choose the Cliff Option.

"What would be an oops? I don't see where anyone claimed there were."

people have claimed there are none, but in fact there are some.
look it up.
research it.

I don't see where anyone is challenging this. If you are so concerned, how about guiding to the correct answer instead of calling us names. Give us your cites so we can compare/SHARE our knowledge.

While there are no federal laws that require food dating, there are laws that dictate how dating must be done if a manufacturer decides to use dating or if a state requires it.

I concede that I'm a little over the top on this.

I had an unpleasant experience a long time ago. I made a sandwich. The bread looked ok at first glance. I didn't examine it or smell it. I took a bite and something tasted strange. I looked at the sandwich again and smelled the meat at the top - ok - rotated it around in my hands as I examined it- , good, good, what the!!?? - and the whole bottom of the crust was white & green mold. Seeing it turned my stomach and I immediately wretched the food out of my mouth. Ever since then I have had issues and check dates, smell, and examine everything.

Of course, I was speaking in hyperbole when I used the word "paranoia." I've been known to use milk a couple of days past the date if it smells okay.

PF -

read the thread and see who is agreeing / disagreeing with actual facts.

challenging is your word, not mine.

21 CFR and lottsa' subparts cover it.

why not just share? because I've done that for decades without effect.

it's the gift-a-fish vs. teach fishing debate. there are people on these forums who should - after decades - know better. but they don't because they've never made the effort to learn. read, dismiss, let's go with the standard 128 character Tweet.

so I've changed tactics. make 'em look it up 'emselfs.

...and the whole bottom of the crust was white & green mold.

I bake a lot of bread. it does not come out of the oven with a eat-or-die-by date. it does get mold if it survives long enough.

'almost lost it' - you do know where penicillin came from, right?

Bread should never be given to birds or any wild life. Moldy bread will kill them. I know people think this is a good thing to feed them, but it's not.

I participate in a bird studies for Cornell University and the local Audubon Society. Fruit, such as oranges and berries are wonderful for the birds, but any 'man made' product does more harm.

Did you ever see a duck with "Angel wing"? Look it up, saddest thing ever. Here's one site that explains it kbs.msu.edu

Thank you to all that care about our feathered friends.

Last edited:
The best advice I learned in Home Ec was, "When in doubt, throw it out."

I might have to throw out half my pantry. I just mentioned to my wife last week we should go through it and see what we REALLY have in there. :ermm:

Thanks!

Bread should never be given to birds or any wild life. Moldy bread will kill them. I know people think this is a good thing to feed them, but it's not.

I participate in a bird studies for Cornell University and the local Audubon Society. Fruit, such as oranges and berries are wonderful for the birds, but any 'man made' product does more harm.

Did you ever see a duck with "Angel wing"? Look it up, saddest thing ever. Here's one site that explains it kbs.msu.edu

Thank you to all that care about our feathered friends.

Tell that to the pigeons in central park! ;)

I might have to throw out half my pantry. I just mentioned to my wife last week we should go through it and see what we REALLY have in there. :ermm:

Thanks!

Tell that to the pigeons in central park! ;)

How absolutely heartbreaking that you are making light of a serious response that I made.

How absolutely heartbreaking that you are making light of a serious response that I made.

I don't think he's making light of it, FF, it's just that everyone has been feeding leftover bread to birds for many years. And pigeons are notorious scavengers.

I too wish that practice would stop. We have a large pond in a nice park in this neck of the woods, and folks regularily bring stale bread to feed the ducks and geese. They truly think they're doing a good thing, and bring their kids along, and encourage it.

I'm not sure what we can do to stop it.

Last edited:
Tell them them to stop and tell them why.

Our city has signs posted by lakes and wetlands not to feed the water fowl human food. People stop them and tell them why it's hurting more than helping.

Why don't you speak up? Animals can't do it for themselves, we have to be their voices.

And do you know why pigeons eat whatever? Because humans give them garbage instead of bird food. If you were hungry you'd eat whatever was given to you, that's what they are doing. If people would quit feeding them they would survive on seeds, berries and all that nature provides.

It's very discouraging to post information that is helpful only to have snarky remarks made about it. Whether they are kidding or not it would be nice to receive a thank you.

Last edited:
Tell them them to stop and tell them why.

Our city has signs posted by lakes and wetlands not to feed the water fowl human food. People stop them and tell them why it's hurting more than helping.

Why don't you speak up? Animals can't do it for themselves, we have to be their voices.

And do you know why pigeons eat whatever? Because humans give them garbage instead of bird food. If you were hungry you'd eat whatever was given to you, that's what they are doing. If people would quit feeding them they would survive on seeds, berries and all that nature provides.

It's very discouraging to post information that is helpful only to have snarky remarks made about it. Whether they are kidding or not it would be nice to receive a thank you.

I think you are taking this too personally. Like Dawg said above, people have been feeding stale (not rotten or moldy) bread to birds for ages. My grandmother was a bird lover and she did it all winter long. Some birds don't eat it, but the squirrels loved it and thrived on it during the seasons in Minnesota when many of them die from starvation. There are ponds in parks around the world where resident ducks and geese thrive on the bread that visitors and other park users feed them. Making a blanket statement like you did is speaking from emotion without really thinking about what you are saying.

A good many of those animals under discussion are not remotely "wild" any more. I applaud the efforts of the National Parks to stop visitors from feeding what are truly wild creatures and I support allowing nature to take its course. but the birds and others which live day to day with us in our towns and cities are no longer wildlife. They depend on handouts and on scrounging our leftovers. Without that many of them wouldn't survive, and I feel that our urban and semi-urban environment would be the poorer without them. I'm not going to say if that's a good thing or not, but it would be a sad act to sentence them to death because of misplaced love.

Last edited:
I think you are taking this too personally. Like Dawg said above, people have been feeding stale (not rotten or moldy) bread to birds for ages. My grandmother was a bird lover and she did it all winter long. Some birds don't eat it, but the squirrels loved it and thrived on it during the seasons in Minnesota when many of them die from starvation. There are ponds in parks around the world where resident ducks and geese thrive on the bread that visitors and other park users feed them. Making a blanket statement like you did is speaking from emotion without really thinking about what you are saying.

A good many of those animals under discussion are not remotely "wild" any more. I applaud the efforts of the National Parks to stop visitors from feeding what are truly wild creatures and I support allowing nature to take its course. but the birds and others which live day to day with us in our towns and cities are no longer wildlife. They depend on handouts and on scrounging our leftovers. Without that many of them wouldn't survive, and I feel that our urban and semi-urban environment would be the poorer without them. I'm not going to say if that's a good thing or not, but it would be a sad act to sentence them to death because of misplaced love.
+++1

I can tell you that yeast which expired in 2013 will make white bread but not wheat bread.
Note: it had been stored in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom