"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Best by Date?

There's an actual "honey mafia". I try to buy local honey as much as possible, not from Walmart or Walgreen's or the other grocery stores. Chinese honey goes through many hands, and may well have additives.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
+1. One of my fellow master gardeners has hives and sells his honey at the farmers market, where I buy it, so I know it's real. And it has a wonderful flavor. If people have the option of buying local honey directly from beekeepers, I recommend it.
I work on a tourist railroad, and tomorrow we are going to a local honey farm. They will have all kinds for tasting. It should be interesting. Most of our honey here comes from citrus and avocado orchards and it is delicious.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
There's an actual "honey mafia". I try to buy local honey as much as possible, not from Walmart or Walgreen's or the other grocery stores. Chinese honey goes through many hands, and may well have additives.
They also often fine filter it so there won't be any pollen that has DNA and is therefore traceable.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
A buddy of ours, who has apiaries and sells honey in Mexico, told me many distributers cut their honey with brown sugar, corn syrup, or other sweeteners. That might cut the shelf life a bit. Also, a lot of the honey here in the states isn't real, particularily if it comes from China.

Otherwise, real honey should have no expiration date, the honey found in Egyptian tombs was still good!
I only buy local, unfiltered honey. They are big on honey bees out here and many, many local producers.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Some states (and maybe all states) have a requirement that all products be dated. So you can't reliably base a quality decision based on whether or not the honey has a sell by date.
The date stamping originated because the public wanted to know if the food they were buying was still good. So the people who sell us our food started to put a date on everything. If not an expiration date, then a date of when made. The public was happy.

Some dates are absolutely needed such as dairy, milk, yogurt, etc. But can goods? I don't think so. I have a can of sliced beets that I bought more than a year ago. It has been sitting in the back of my fridge since I bought it. On the top it says "Best if used by Dec. 2015. The definitive word there is "if". There is no bulge, rust or any other sign of the can being damaged in any way. It is safe to eat. I had forgotten all about the beets being in there. Today I will be having a cold beet salad with Ranch Dressing.

I have bought milk that had a three week expiration date. I opened it and the smell was obvious. I took it back. When I brought it to the service window, I noticed several more carton of milk sitting there. I think the cases of milk were left on the loading dock too long.

Another time I bought a dozen eggs. Three of the eggs had embryos of baby chicks in the developing stage. I got a new dozen eggs and my money back for that one. I couldn't stop heaving for the longest time. The sight was sickening enough, and the smell of them was even worse. Someone was asleep when they were candling them.

I have a friend that is a snow bird. He goes to Florida every winter. I had a recipe that called for honey, but had heard about the adulterated honey on the market. He has a home near the orange groves and brought me back a gallon of pure honey. Pieces of honeycomb all through it. But when you opened it, you could smell the oranges. I am not fond of honey, but this one I had to take a taste of. DELICIOUS!

A lot of times the pollen is from a variety of flowers. But not this gallon.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #26
Head Chef

Craig picks our honey up in LaBelle, Fl. The honey is actually a byproduct of their main business, beeswax. Can't beat the price. It comes in a recycled OJ 1/2 gallon plastic jug and we re-bottle into glass canning jars as one of the plastic ones developed a leak once. It's so much better tasting than the store-bought honey.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
A buddy of ours, who has apiaries and sells honey in Mexico, told me many distributers cut their honey with brown sugar, corn syrup, or other sweeteners. That might cut the shelf life a bit. Also, a lot of the honey here in the states isn't real, particularily if it comes from China.

Otherwise, real honey should have no expiration date, the honey found in Egyptian tombs was still good!
Guy here sells his honey at the Flea market, year round. We are on our second 2 lbs.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have had good luck buying honey from the health food store. It's from small, specialty companies. Sometimes it says what farm/apiary it comes from.

One year we went to the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City for my birthday. They gave me some birthday goodies. The one item I can remember was a tiny jar of honey from their roof top bee hives.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I'm very happy to read these comments, as today once again I bring up two cans of Nina tomatoes to see both can are dated 09/2014.
Costco again. I need to watch the dates on these. I buy them to use. But I do not buy them to use right away.

I plan to use the tomatoes for my sauce.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

The Himalayan pink salt picture is funny, haha!

I don't know what it is, but I've got some paranoia about eating food past the date. My wife thinks I'm crazy.