"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
The best advice I learned in Home Ec was, "When in doubt, throw it out."
I might have to throw out half my pantry. I just mentioned to my wife last week we should go through it and see what we REALLY have in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
From Food Safety Education at the USDA:
Thanks!

Quote:
Bread should never be given to birds or any wild life. Moldy bread will kill them. I know people think this is a good thing to feed them, but it's not.

I participate in a bird studies for Cornell University and the local Audubon Society. Fruit, such as oranges and berries are wonderful for the birds, but any 'man made' product does more harm.

Did you ever see a duck with "Angel wing"? Look it up, saddest thing ever. Here's one site that explains it kbs.msu.edu

Thank you to all that care about our feathered friends.
Tell that to the pigeons in central park!

Old 09-23-2015, 12:04 AM   #52
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I might have to throw out half my pantry. I just mentioned to my wife last week we should go through it and see what we REALLY have in there.

Thanks!

Tell that to the pigeons in central park!
How absolutely heartbreaking that you are making light of a serious response that I made.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Best by Date?

Quote:
How absolutely heartbreaking that you are making light of a serious response that I made.

I don't think he's making light of it, FF, it's just that everyone has been feeding leftover bread to birds for many years. And pigeons are notorious scavengers.

I too wish that practice would stop. We have a large pond in a nice park in this neck of the woods, and folks regularily bring stale bread to feed the ducks and geese. They truly think they're doing a good thing, and bring their kids along, and encourage it.

I'm not sure what we can do to stop it.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:30 AM   #54
Senior Cook

Tell them them to stop and tell them why.

Our city has signs posted by lakes and wetlands not to feed the water fowl human food. People stop them and tell them why it's hurting more than helping.

Why don't you speak up? Animals can't do it for themselves, we have to be their voices.

And do you know why pigeons eat whatever? Because humans give them garbage instead of bird food. If you were hungry you'd eat whatever was given to you, that's what they are doing. If people would quit feeding them they would survive on seeds, berries and all that nature provides.

It's very discouraging to post information that is helpful only to have snarky remarks made about it. Whether they are kidding or not it would be nice to receive a thank you.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #55
Sous Chef

Quote:
It's very discouraging to post information that is helpful only to have snarky remarks made about it. Whether they are kidding or not it would be nice to receive a thank you.
Lighten up. That wasn't snarky, just a wry observation.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Tell them them to stop and tell them why.

Our city has signs posted by lakes and wetlands not to feed the water fowl human food. People stop them and tell them why it's hurting more than helping.

Why don't you speak up? Animals can't do it for themselves, we have to be their voices.

And do you know why pigeons eat whatever? Because humans give them garbage instead of bird food. If you were hungry you'd eat whatever was given to you, that's what they are doing. If people would quit feeding them they would survive on seeds, berries and all that nature provides.

I think you are taking this too personally. Like Dawg said above, people have been feeding stale (not rotten or moldy) bread to birds for ages. My grandmother was a bird lover and she did it all winter long. Some birds don't eat it, but the squirrels loved it and thrived on it during the seasons in Minnesota when many of them die from starvation. There are ponds in parks around the world where resident ducks and geese thrive on the bread that visitors and other park users feed them. Making a blanket statement like you did is speaking from emotion without really thinking about what you are saying.

A good many of those animals under discussion are not remotely "wild" any more. I applaud the efforts of the National Parks to stop visitors from feeding what are truly wild creatures and I support allowing nature to take its course. but the birds and others which live day to day with us in our towns and cities are no longer wildlife. They depend on handouts and on scrounging our leftovers. Without that many of them wouldn't survive, and I feel that our urban and semi-urban environment would be the poorer without them. I'm not going to say if that's a good thing or not, but it would be a sad act to sentence them to death because of misplaced love.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I think you are taking this too personally. Like Dawg said above, people have been feeding stale (not rotten or moldy) bread to birds for ages. My grandmother was a bird lover and she did it all winter long. Some birds don't eat it, but the squirrels loved it and thrived on it during the seasons in Minnesota when many of them die from starvation. There are ponds in parks around the world where resident ducks and geese thrive on the bread that visitors and other park users feed them. Making a blanket statement like you did is speaking from emotion without really thinking about what you are saying.

A good many of those animals under discussion are not remotely "wild" any more. I applaud the efforts of the National Parks to stop visitors from feeding what are truly wild creatures and I support allowing nature to take its course. but the birds and others which live day to day with us in our towns and cities are no longer wildlife. They depend on handouts and on scrounging our leftovers. Without that many of them wouldn't survive, and I feel that our urban and semi-urban environment would be the poorer without them. I'm not going to say if that's a good thing or not, but it would be a sad act to sentence them to death because of misplaced love.
+++1
Old 09-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #58
Senior Cook

I can tell you that yeast which expired in 2013 will make white bread but not wheat bread.
Note: it had been stored in the freezer.