Best leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I'm sure it's come up before, but I've noticed that when I cook a great meal and I save it for a day, it becomes pretty good. I always remember how good it USED TO BE. If I make a pretty good meal it becomes alright a day later. Mostly forgettable.

Does anyone have a recipe that they make that starts out great and keeps you coming back to the fridge on day 2,3,4?

I would expect soups, stews, braises to be just as good the second time around. Other foods such as roast meats and poultry, stir-fries, etc. won't taste as good.

Smoked brisket, pulled pork are better the next day. I even like smoked prime rib better the next day. But I slice/pull everything the day of the cook, back in the pan with the au jus over night.

Brisket and pulled pork reheated on the smoker at about 225 until hot is butt kick'n good.:)

There is something about leftover spagetti in meat sauce. On the first night it is mixed and served in a large bowl at the table. It continues to absorb the sauce and although it can get a bit clumply and the pasta breaks up a bit, it is tasiter the next day. IMHO

I love cold rare steak.

Lasagna, pizza pot pie (recipe is posted in one dish meals thread), tater toy hotdish, hot roast beef with gravy and mashed potatoes on bread (I know, that's kind of a makeover)

Google Kahlua pork. I make a 5lb roast (serve over steamed rice) and use leftovers for all kinds of things. Tacos, nachos, taquitos, enchiladas, pull pork sandwiches, etc. I make this all the time at home. Def the most frequent recipe I have.

Red beans and rice! I don't even consider eating this dish on the day it is made. Many other dishes are the same. Much better the next day!;)

Craig

left over mushrooms sauted in butter with onions and plenty of well cooked garlic reheated in more butter.
kadesma:)

My very favorite leftovers are barbecued chicken and rare steak, never reheated. As Andy mentioned it seems like soups and some stews are even better the next day. I would agree however that many good meals just don't taste right as leftovers. My husband on the other hand, will eat any leftovers for days and days.......good thing, because I won't.

DH has to take sandwiches to one job, but he loves leftovers when he goes to his homecare job because he can heat them up. He will suggest things for dinner just so he can make up to-go meals for himself. Some of his favourites are:
- Stew (any kind)
- Chile (any kind)
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Pasta sauce (he just makes fresh noodles before he goes and assembles and heats at work
- Stroganoff (even I love this one better the next day and I am not a leftovers lover)
- Sweet and Sour Pork with rice
- Soups of all kinds
- Shepherds pie

Actually anything that has a sauce or liquid is as good/better the next day because the contents keep absorbing the flavour.

I love egg rolls, pizza, steak and chicken the day after, but like others they have to be cold, not heated

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom