Best Mushroom for Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessFather

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone...

I'm a father who is trying to find his way in the kitchen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any way, I've finally figured out a lasagna recipe that my two daughters love but I want to use it to get veggies into them as well. Ha. I've used spinach but I'd also like to try some variety.

I want to include a really yummy mushroom. What do you guys suggest?!

Thanks very much for having me everyone. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Hi everyone...

I'm a father who is trying to find his way in the kitchen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any way, I've finally figured out a lasagna recipe that my two daughters love but I want to use it to get veggies into them as well. Ha. I've used spinach but I'd also like to try some variety.

I want to include a really yummy mushroom. What do you guys suggest?!

Thanks very much for having me everyone. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Hello and welcome!

If you are trying to introduce mushrooms, you better just pick out regular white button mushrooms. They don't have too strong a flavor to turn off a couple of kids. You can also chop them rather small so they don't get a whole one. Most of the time it is texture when it comes to mushrooms and not the taste.

Other ingredients that can be hidden in lasagna are chopped summer squash, such as zuchini and yellow squash, chopped black olives, various kinds of peppers (I know, they are actually a kind of fruit.:stuart:), chopped onion, all good and nutrient filled additions that won't dramatically change the lasagna, or that will compliment the flavors already there.

Good luck with crafting your perfect lasagna.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

Welcome to DC! How old are your daughters?

If you want to sneak some fiber in the lasagne, you can take 1/2 c chick peas/romano beans/pinto beans/white kidney beans and puree them, mix that in with your tomato sauce.

You can do the same with the mushrooms, chop/puree and sneak them into the tomato sauce. There was a recent thread on lasagne, it might give you some ideas. Sorry, I don't know how to link it when I'm already sending a reply. Perhaps s/one else could get the link for you before sending a reply. Or Luca--maybe you could send the link?

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! Lots of friendly folks and other good stuff here!

I've added grated carrot to my tomato sauce along with some of the other suggested veggies.

White button mushrooms are the most common and will work great. Crimini, sometimes called baby bellas, are also very good. Both are readily available in most markets. Beyond that, it's up to you.

I'm in disagreement with sneaking veggies into other foods for kids.

But in regard to your mushroom question... Add mushrooms that you think taste good. Mushrooms have very different flavor profiles, depending on type.

White button mushrooms are the cheapest and the mildest tasting.

Since mushrooms are mostly water, you need to cook them first or your finished product will be watery

I'm in disagreement with sneaking veggies into other foods for kids...

...or for grown-ups. I have a SonIL who won't eat many of the things we all cook with daily. It's a challenge to cook for him. He once rejected twice baked potatoes because they looked "suspicious".

...or for grown-ups. I have a SonIL who won't eat many of the things we all cook with daily. It's a challenge to cook for him. He once rejected twice baked potatoes because they looked "suspicious".

Did it look like this?

Attachments

• MrPotatoHead_09.jpg
    MrPotatoHead_09.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,072
Andy M. said:

:ROFLMAO: Next time you need to better brown the arsenic.

Try this with mushrooms - any type - if fresh - dry them to a condition of slight moistness - then fry with butter-olive oil - bit of water - they will have a great 'chewiness' (if you like that kind of thing' :) - and the flavor also will be nicely concentrated.

I have found small children to love them even 'all alone' like this - while at the same time they reject the slimy mush that is the usual 'mushroom' result.

And even fry them to being semi-crisp - and some will find a new taste treat.

-----

One can go the other way - and start with all-dry mushrooms - soak a bit and then fry in butter-olive oil.

Back
Top Bottom