Best nachos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
What makes the best nachos? I just made some with crumbled sauteed hot italian-style sausage meat (i guess that's what the store calls chorizo), onions, banana peppers & mixed cheese. i would have put other stuff on but i didn't have anything handy (bell peppers etc). it would have been better if i made my own chips & used fresher ingredients instead of the canned peppers. what are some good tips? i've found that if i gradually add the cheese as opposed to putting it on just a couple times it works much better. i put an ingredient on, then a little bit of cheese, then some other ingredient, a bit more cheese, etc etc. then the cheese is all throughout instead of in one or two layers.

Last edited:
To tell you the truth, I'm pretty much a nacho purist - I just like my chips, in one layer, with grated sharp cheddar, some hot salsa, & perhaps a slice of pickled jalapeno, lightly toasted until the cheese is just melted.

If I'm going to add ground meat, veggies, yadayadayada, then I might as well just make some corn tortilla enchiladas.

BreezyCooking said:
To tell you the truth, I'm pretty much a nacho purist - I just like my chips, in one layer, with grated sharp cheddar, some hot salsa, & perhaps a slice of pickled jalapeno, lightly toasted until the cheese is just melted.

is that what nachos were like traditionally? is adding a bunch of other stuff an american thing then?

I can't imagine there is just one authentic recipe for nachos. Every home would make their own version probably based on what they had in the fridge at the time.

There is a variety of cheeses as possible toppings. Salsa is another ingredient that probably has thousands of versions from home to home. There are also a variety of chiles that would be added.

Make them the way you like them and enjoy.

i like putting left over pulled pork on mine ...
then heating on the grill with some smoke ...

Andy M. said:
I can't imagine there is just one authentic recipe for nachos. Every home would make their own version probably based on what they had in the fridge at the time.

I can't imagine any Mexican family serving "authentic" nachos. I think it's a purly Norte Americano invention, probably first created at some quasi-Mexican fast food joint.

Caine said:
I can't imagine any Mexican family serving "authentic" nachos. I think it's a purly Norte Americano invention, probably first created at some quasi-Mexican fast food joint.
I can't imagine a family that regularly eats corn tortillas, Mexican or otherwise, that doesn't make nachos although they might not call it that. In fact, they might not call it anything. What do you call toast with butter and jam? Pieces of fried tortillas with melted cheese and chiles are just as pervasive.

GB beat me to posting the links but I guarantee that when Ignacio put "Nachos Especiales" on the menu it would have been very similar to something folks on both sides of Tex-Mex border grew up with.

I`m not too fussy as long as the Cheese is Real and not this insipid liquidy excuse for cheese that some places use, and although I don`t mind pickled chilis I`de rather not have half the vinigar on it also, fresh sliced chili is best.

When we have rotisserie chicken around, I like to shred that and brown it in a skillet, add some red chile powder and lime juice. I throw the chicken on the chips, beans, cilantro, jalapenos or green chile, either extra sharp cheddar or pepperjack. Stick it under the broiler. Sometimes I chop up lettuce and tomato and throw that on top after it comes out.

Yum. I'm getting hungry.

Caine said:

Nobody but you mentioned Mexican families!

baking fool said:
I just made some with crumbled sauteed hot italian-style sausage meat (i guess that's what the store calls chorizo)

Oh - and Italian sausage is NOT what the grocery stores call chorizo - chorizo is chorizo and Italian sausage is Italian sausage - and I've never had Italian sausage on nachos.

I'm a basic nacho person too (cheese, green chilies, jalapenos, fresh salsa) but sometimes I like to add left-over chicken or left-over pork. If other people want the taco meat then I will cook peppers and onions to go in that. A few spring onions are good too but that's usually in my salsa.

OK - this is what I want for supper tonight

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom