Best National Brand Canned Beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow....looking at their website I see LOTS that I've never heard of. I'd like to try them all. :LOL:

For Beans (and I'm finally on the right side of the Continental Divide) I love Kuner's, I went looking for them as soon as we got here.

I use Bushes also. They're always on sale. And I'm always throwing things into the pot of beans to doctor it, just because I can.

Same here. I also like the cannellini and black beans drained, rinsed, and in salads, both green and pasta salads.

Last edited:
I've been eating B&M Baked Beans since I was a kid. I see no reason to change. This is a traditional Boston baked bean recipe with no tomato.

We like B&M here, too, along with some of the Bush's varieties. B&M used to be our first choice but, since they quit packaging them in the brown glass bean pot-shaped jars, they don't seem to be the same. I suspect they changed the recipe somewhere along the way. We don't eat that many commercially-produced canned goods so we don't have them too often.

Used to love B&M Baked beans with B&M Brown Bread. Haven't seen either in this area - don't know if they make the canned brown bread any more. (Add: I just Googled it and yes they do still have the brown bread. It's rated 4.6 stars on Amazon, and I'd give it 5 stars myself. I might have to break down and order some.)

Here it's usually the various flavors of Bush's that are most available. We just don't do canned beans much. When I have beans, they're usually in chili or soup or with rice.

Heat up the brown bread in the oven. Use butter on a slice and it melts right into the bread. To die for! :angel:

We like B&M here, too, along with some of the Bush's varieties. B&M used to be our first choice but, since they quit packaging them in the brown glass bean pot-shaped jars, they don't seem to be the same. I suspect they changed the recipe somewhere along the way. We don't eat that many commercially-produced canned goods so we don't have them too often.

They are still in the jar and they haven't changed the recipe. :angel:

Anyone remember these? They were my favorite when I was a kid. They came in two separate cans: the beans and the "fixin's".

bigbeans.jpg

Heat up the brown bread in the oven. Use butter on a slice and it melts right into the bread. To die for! :angel:

Yep. Good memories from way back. :yum:

My maternal grandmother's family came from New England, which is why the Boston style baked beans with brown bread was part of my childhood back in the 50's, even though we lived in Minnesota.

Last edited:
I admit to sometimes for lunch just opening a can of beans. I don't heat them. Just into a bowl and add a squeeze of Heinz ketchup and S&P with a piece of toast.
The beans I had today (now) where Stokley's w/tomato sauce.
I certainly have had better.
Do you have a favorite to recommend?
So far the best I've eaten are these:Canned Beans: Bush's Best | Bush’s Beans

I buy two small cans and when I take them out of the grocery bag, they immediately go into the fridge. I love them cold. And I love them in a sandwich. :angel:

I bought some Bush's beans yesterday. They are very tasty.
Aside:
For years I couldn't stand the thought of eating canned beans.
A coworker named 'Waddie' came upon a truck on it's side in the ditch in the middle of the night. The driver must have been picked up by someone. The ditch was full of boxes of frozen weiners. The boxes were all over the place. Each box must have had a hundred individually wrapped weiners in it.
He and his wife loaded as many boxes in their car as they could. He told me his wife even had boxes on her lap.
Somehow they got home and were able to put dozens of boxes of the weiners in various friends freezers.
Anyway for at least a year five days a week he would bring a thermos with a few warm watery gray weiner's to work. He'd open a can of cold beans then into a bowl then dip the weiners in the beans while smacking his lips and occasionally 'passing gas' at the lunch table.
Once a fellow employee happened to be walking behind Waddie when he was eating. Waddie farted and the guy behind him shoved Waddie's face down into the weiners and beans.
Waddie transferred out of our department soon after.

Back
Top Bottom