"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSubterfuge View Post
I've done a lot of sifting regarding this topic but it hasn't resolved much. I've tried more prominent places like foodnetwork and epicurious but I feel that a lot of what they offer is a little bit too high-end in terms of prices of ingredients or skill level. I've also tried more obscure sites but I feel that most of the recipes among those types of pages are a little bit too dull and lackluster.

So yes, I come here appealing to you founded and based foodies regarding where I should go to find some quality recipes that aren't too high-end w/in any regard. BTW, I'm sorry if I'm coming off a little bit too picky and demanding, but I'm a bit new to this scene as I've mentioned before (albeit awhile back ) and I'd appreciate the accommodation. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Discuss Cooking, Darth Are you looking/searching for meal ideas or a certain recipe for a specific dish? If you could give us more of an idea of what you have in mind, I'm sure there's a recipe or questions folks here can help with. Have you tried the search feature, or explored all the food-related catagories in this forum? Feel free to ask a question, and folks will jump right in.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
Cook

Darth, Recipe4Living.com (which I will admit I write for) focuses primarily on easy, simple recipes (though it has plenty of other ones). It skews to an older audience that might not have as much time or artistic flair in the kitchen but still wants to make good food. Check it out if you like; recipes.com is great, too.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I actually really like vegcooking.com despite the fact that I'm no longer a vegetarian. I just find that the recipes there are both really original, well-explained, and delicious.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I like allrecipes.com. You can search for a recipe lots of different ways, including by ingredient. The thing I like about it is that people rate and also critique the recipe. Lots of them add stuff to make it better. So you can find out before you make the recipe what, if any, problems others had making it.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
Welcome! I think you'll find this site has what you need. If you want another resource to fall back on, recipezaar.com is my favorite.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:20 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSubterfuge View Post
I appreciate the hospitality. I guess I just felt a little awkward doing so to be honest as I feel like to some extent I don't even belong here ha ha. Albeit, I have seen a good deal of somewhat novice level questions but I just sort of feel it's not my style. But I'll try to break that mindset I have, and if I do have some other questions I'll try to come forward with those. Thanks again.
Ah, ha. I think I've figured out your dilemma. Perhaps our "titles" under our names are intimidating you. That's understandable. You might get the impression that many (most) of DC's members are professional chefs based on our "titles."

Yes, there are some members who are professional chefs, but the majority of us are just havin' a good time in the kitchen.

Take a minute and re-read your "welcome" letter and understand that you are rowing the same boat the rest of are rowing.

If you didn't get a "welcome" letter when you joined DC, just ask any of the moderators or administrators. They will be happy to get one to you.

At any rate, just jump in and ask any question that comes to mind. The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. We're glad to have you.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Most member titles are based on the number of posts. You start out as an Assistant Cook and move up as you participate. The exception is my title, which is more of a description of my skills than the number of posts.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Try the Search feature on the top blue bar on ANY page here at Discuss Cooking. We are a cooking forum. It might be in the form of a discussion board but please, check here first before going somewhere else. If you can't find what you are looking for ask - we can certainly help!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #19
DC Grandma

My door is always open Uncle Bob

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:01 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I learn something every day. I didn't know that about the cooking links on the blue bar. What else have you all kept from me?