"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 04-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Ooooo! I had one that was amazing recently. Cherry tomatoes cut in half, then a smear of guacamole and a 1 cm piece of bacon on top. It was wonderful. I could eat jillions of those.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Ooooo! I had one that was amazing recently. Cherry tomatoes cut in half, then a smear of guacamole and a 1 cm piece of bacon on top. It was wonderful. I could eat jillions of those.
That sounds really good. Yummy hors d'oeuvre, But I''m still not sure if the OP wants appetizers or not.

OP - are you serving dinner as well, or is it just a cocktail party? Do you want appetizers for a meal (where they'll be using utensils) and if so, what is the theme of the meal, or do you want hors d'oeuvres ideas (where they have to eat everything in one or two bites without utensils)?

Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
Executive Chef
You can feed an army and not break the bank with an array of different items: chips and a 7 layer taco bean dip (make as spicy as you like; make as home made or semi as you like), a Mediterranean platter with hummus, olives, grape leaves and cubes of feta and pita chips (same here-go as home or semi as you like)...American classics like onion dip, salmon spread, clam dip, chip beef spread, buffalo chicken dip etc. A pot of meatballs, mini franks, and if the dollars permit steamed spiced shrimp. Something for everybody.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
I'm assuming you want easy grabs for this crowd. Usually when I feed an army, I go with a nice crudite platter, the usual carrots, celery, ect...and throw in some raw asparagus spears, endive and spears of raw red beets are delicious too. Offer 3 or 4 dips and some sliced baguette.

I am forced to bring the BLT dip to all family functions now. Its pretty trashy sounding, but it is gone so fast you won't believe it! You basically mix 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream, then throw in a bunch of fresh diced tomatoes and hormel bacon bits from the bag. Don't try using fresh bacon bits, it doesn't work...you have to use the pre fab ones! Serve it in a hollowed 1/2 iceburg lettuce head or giant romaine leaf...with pita bread, baquette slices or even pita chips.

My second and even faster disappearing *more trashy* party snack would be the veggie pizza. Its really good....and colorful..and BAD for you....LOL. You get a few things of the pillsbury crescent rolls. Spray a cookie sheet and just unroll them, but don't seperate them. You want to cover the cookie sheet, as if you where making a big pizza crust. Bake this in the oven until its golden and done. Let it cool to room temp. Make a spread of 1 part cream cheese, 1 part sour cream, 1 part ranch dressing. Mix it up and spread it genourosly over your crust. Now you can sprinkle the top with slivered raw veggies. I like carrots, red bell pepper and finely chopped broccolli. You'll want to gently press it down with your hands, so it sticks. You can dust the top with a bit of grated cheddar...then cut it into squares with a pizza cutter.

I am loving this thread....always trying to figure out new partyables!

kuki is offline   Reply With Quote