"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Best Rice for Paella?

My family and I love to eat paella, and I have to say that I prepare a very good one! My question is: Is there a best brand of arborio rice (that is the one I use) that I could find at supermarkets? And another question: Is there a best season to buy sea food like mussels, scallops, lobster and squid? Thank you!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I dont' know about the brands, but the essential is to use a short-grain type of rice. About the seasons, winter is the best one to buy seafood I heard all my life, but really I'm not sure why?!

Old 10-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Thank you for the reply Kookette! I wanted to know a brand because I used to use one that was wonderful, but the last time I prepared paella, I used a rice that just didn't triple like others. And for the seafood... it is kind difficult to tell, it is very easy to find the frozen seafood at the supermarket, we live about twelve hours away from the coast, and I would love to be able to buy freshly caught seafood, we have a wonderful supermarket that I can special order for certain occasions. Tomorrow my husband and I have some guests for dinner, they've never eaten paella before, but they love seafood, so that is what I am preparing, "una paella mixta". What would you serve as dessert? Oh! I saw that you just joinned in, so "Welcome!!!"
Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Master Chef

Can't help you with the rice, but as far as the seafood, here in the U.S. all of the varieties you listed are available in pristine shape & quality year-round.