"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Best surface to cook pancakes on?

Hi there - as part of my quest for pancake perfection - I'm questioning my choice of cookware. I currently cook my pancakes on this cast iron griddle.

It works great except for one problem - my oven sucks and so the center stays significantly hotter than the edges. This means that I typically stick to cooking just one pancake at a time - which is actually ok for when it's just for me - but it's annoying when cooking for others.

I've heard that soapstone griddles are pretty awesome. Anybody have any opinions about that?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

No opinion on the soap stones --- I have this one. I can cook two large or three med/small ones at a time. I also have a 12 in round one --Might squeeze two small ones on it --- I've never tried however.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Head Chef

I use an electric griddle which gives me a good amount of room to cook a variety of things besides pancakes and it holds it temperature quite well.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

If you are going to be cooking pancakes on a regular basis, and I know you are, an electric griddle is the best and easiest way to go IMO. You don't have to worry about maintaining the right temp and there is a big flat surface to cook a bunch of pancakes at once.

Look for a lot of surface area to cook on and a thick metal cooking surface that is non-stick coated.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I cook my pancakes on a Presto electric griddle. I have tried different temperature settings and find 325 to be the best. Although I do like this griddle I have to say that it does not heat evenly. The area that is over the heat element is hotter than the rest of the surface, as you might expect.

Paying careful attention to the pancakes as they cook will yield very good results.

Jeff
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Master Chef

I have gotten used to simplicity and convenience of non-stick frying pan. Really can't beat it.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Electric griddles are not the first thing I would have thought of. How good is the temperature regulation with them? And is it evenly spread out, or concentrated in spots? They all are going to be teflon coated, right? My roommates, bless their hearts, are not exactly skilled when it comes to taking care of pots and pans - so the teflon would worry me somewhat as I think they'd scratch it.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

So you don't want the best solution, you want an idiot-proof solution.

A cast iron griddle that sits on two burners is probably best in that case. It takes seasoning and practice to get the flames adjusted exactly right to maintain a constant 350 F.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So you don't want the best solution, you want an idiot-proof solution.

A cast iron griddle that sits on two burners is probably best in that case. It takes seasoning and practice to get the flames adjusted exactly right to maintain a constant 350 F.
Well... I want both. When I get my own place in not too long I'll want the best solution. But for now I want something my roommates can't damage.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoficowboy View Post
Well... I want both. When I get my own place in not too long I'll want the best solution. But for now I want something my roommates can't damage.
Cast iron now, electric skillet later.