"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by baking fool View Post
what's the best thing made with bacon? anything better than a homemade egg mcmuffin with a real fried egg & back bacon (because it's the right size & shape) & cheddar?
I had ham, egg, and swiss biscuits yesterday. I usually do them in the microwave and they are great! When using biscuits or english muffins I cook the egg in a coffee cup. Bread or bagel I use the small ramakins.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #32
Senior Cook

It's all good.

It would be easier to name my "WOW" foods. First, that I can remember, is smoked brisket so tender it had to be cut in 1/2" thick slices. Had to do w/the challenge of getting it right, too.

The latest, and possibly the greatest, was the fresh crawfish boil we did last friday. It was fun to do, tasted fantastic, and was fun to eat w/the kids. Food is more of an event for me, that is what makes it even better. Cooking and eating the best food in the world wouldn't be as good as just a plain burger off the grill w/family(inlaws not incl ) and friends.

Great thread to read. Very interesting.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I agree that circumstances are the key.
I have had a stew made with potatoes, onions and dried beef in the woods in a primitive camp that was amazing.
There is an oyster bar outside of Elizabeth City that serves some of the best shrimp I ever ate.
The first smoked standing rib roast that my wife and I prepared together was darn near sinful.
The key to all of these and more is the company of family and friends.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by baking fool View Post
what's the best thing made with bacon? anything better than a homemade egg mcmuffin with a real fried egg & back bacon (because it's the right size & shape) & cheddar?
Well, imho, the best thing made with bacon is an Avocado BLT on toasted whole grain bread. But that's just me.... (oh, and I need homemade mayo on that. )
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Well, imho, the best thing made with bacon is an Avocado BLT on toasted whole grain bread. But that's just me.... (oh, and I need homemade mayo on that. )
iron chef judges think so too! (except for the avocado):
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #36
Senior Cook

what's the best sugar rush?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #37
Head Chef

a lunar-year multi-course banquet with LA and Asian bureaucrats.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #38
Master Chef

As others have stated, "Best Thing You Ever Ate" is really impossible. Because the "Best Thing You Ever Ate" is nearly always going to be the "best thing" at that particular time.

This could be your mom's mac & cheese, some special fresher-than-fresh sushi, perfect burgers at a barbecue, clams opened & enjoyed on the beach. . . . you get the idea.

Over the years (& I ain't a spring chicken anymore), I've enjoyed many "bests", but if I had to pick a restaurant meal - & I've had dozens that I've drooled over - one that frequently comes to mind is a rabbit & duck braise that I had at our local "The Rail Stop" restaurant in The Plains, Virginia, back when it was still the original "Rail Stop" - meaning before actor Robert Duvall got involved with it (an interesting & semi-tawdry story in itself - lol!) & then sold it back to the original chef. Somehow the food never found its way back to its original glory.

Anyway, back in its heyday, hubby & I stopped in there for dinner on a cool & absolutely perfect fall evening. The place was packed with locals, including many still in riding togs from the morning's hunt.

I enjoyed a lovely local wine while awaiting what turned out to be an absolute poem of a dish - a nice quarter of rabbit & a nice quarter of duck, braised to perfection in a red wine sauce along with some beautifully turned baby turnips & carrots. The whole lot served on a bed of creamy & nicely seasoned cheese grits. Southern country cuisine at its very best. I've yet to come across a meal like that again.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

Hmmm. Let's see. Well, beef stroganoff has to be close to the top of my list. Quiche Lorraine would be, too. Crab cakes. BLT. And I would have to add trout almondine. Lamb shanks braised in rosemary, wine and balsamic vinegar. Dang. I just got hungry all of a sudden. Excuse me . . . .
Old 04-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Best Sugar Rush? Death By Chocolate, absolutely!