"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
If you start "THINKING" about it, this is an impossible question to answer. However what sprang into my mind first the moment I saw the question, was the tiny wild strawberries we picked while trekking in the italian alps, we had to restrain ourselves from gobbling up all of them on the spot but try to take some back home.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #42
Head Chef

I am also at a loss for the best thing I ever ate,as there are so many... However there is one thing that brings back very fond memories.

When I lived on long island, in new york, there was a place called Peters clam bar and after going to the beach we would go and down dozens of icy cold clams on the half shell, along with dozens of heinikiens... OH the memories!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #43
Senior Cook

"The Rice Table"

There's one meal that I ate at an Indonesian restaurant in San Francisco many years ago that sticks in my memory as extra special. It was called "The Rice Table" and consisted of many dishes. When I finished eating I said to the others at my table this is what I would love to have as my last meal before I die a peaceful death in my old age.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #44
Assistant Cook

I vote for carrot cake, made only by my mother.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #45
Master Chef

I agree that best meals often have more to do with occasion and setting than the food itself (although if the food is awful, it can undo everything else; if the food is super, if you're miserable when you eat it it isn't going to work either). One stellar moment was when I was maybe 11 years old. We were at a theater near Garmisch, I think. The Casa Carioca. At the time it was where Western European ice skating stars would perform. Us girls (I have 3 sisters) got dressed up and went to see the show. They had a dance floor that slid over the ice, and believe me, seeing my parents dance was always a pleasure, they were so darned good (still are). But the meal? Daddy just ordered a huge platter of cheese. Many, many kinds of cheese. It all seemed so elegant. I still regularly buy different kinds of cheese from my local gourmet store, trying something new once in awhile, and husband and I eat a meal of cheese, bread, maybe some salami or pate, and a bottle of champagne. But I always remember that magical night when I was 11 or so ....
Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I agree that best meals often have more to do with occasion and setting than the food itself...But I always remember that magical night when I was 11 or so ....
So true, Claire. When I was little nothing was so elegant and tasty as the Cottage Cheese stuffed Tomato when my parents took us out to the Holiday Inn for dinner. I still enjoy eating this, but that first one with all of us dressed up and sitting in a real restaurant was tops. Mostly we just went to the pizza parlor...and that was the best in it's own right.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 AM   #47
Cook

Well i live in Spain and here are a lot of good restaurants but i was in Bulli 3 years ago and taste smoke's foam ... god this man is so crazy LOL
http://www.2day2eat.com
2day2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #48
Senior Cook

best pizza this week. what's everybody's favourite? i have trouble picking one. sometimes i like a simple cracker-thin scorched margherita & sometimes i like something from the local 2 for 1.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 AM   #49
Assistant Cook

Best memories

Amazing how one can remember exactly where you were/whom with when you had your "best ever". I asked my wife and daughter (10 yr old):

Wife: 1. spinach, ricotta ravioli in Florence
2. artichokes in Chianti

Daughter 1. Mom's "red pasta"
2. Dad's Norwegian Salmon with mozarella and olives in puff pastry
Old 05-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #50
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Freshly caught Dungeness crab cooked in Sea water ... *licks lips* Oh the crab butter