Best thing you ever ate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow this is a tough question. It's very hard to choose, but I think it was this beef dish that was served during my cousin's wedding in one of the finest hotels in the area...it was so tender I feel like I was in heaven. And the sauce, man it was so good. I will never forget that. No wonder it's a very expensive hotel.

Ok! I've got it. It was a rouladen that was served to me by an elderly couple when I was a mere 12 years of age. I sold Grit Newspaper at the time and made a nickle profit from every paper sold. I sold 40 papers in a 4 mile route, every Friday, rain, shine, snow, or heat. I walked the entire route. I was at the end of the last mile, and only had one more paper to give to a sucscriber on a cold, November evening jsut outside of Sault Ste. Marie, MI, on the Canada border. It was about 35' F outside with sleet, alternating with a wet drizzle coming down. I was cold and tired. This last house was home to an elderly couple who were just sitting down to dinner when I knocked on their door. They invited me in to warm up a bit before walking home. To my suprise, they invited me to share their meal. It was some kind of beef steak, flat and bone-free, probably a flank or skirt steak, I was too young to know about such things yet, that was rolled around a wonderfully savory bread dressing, flavored with sage, salt, pepper, and all the flavorings of a great Thanksgiving Day turkey stuffing, though it was in the beef roast. The meat was tender, well seasoned, moist, and covered with gravy. There were mashed potatoes on the side and I can't remember the vegetable. I gratefully accepted the offering and filled my young belly. I was humbled by these people, who accept for buying Grit from me, were complete strangers. They shared their meal with me, a skinny kid who sold them a paper for 50 cents.

I will always remember that meal because of the kind people who shared it with me 43 years ago. I never did learn their names. But they have a special place in my heart.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It was some kind of beef steak, flat and bone-free, probably a flank or skirt steak, I was too young to know about such things yet, that was rolled around a wonderfully savory bread dressing, flavored with sage, salt, pepper, and all the flavorings of a great Thanksgiving Day turkey stuffing, though it was in the beef roast. The meat was tender, well seasoned, moist, and covered with gravy. There were mashed potatoes on the side
goodweed, there used to be a restaurant in chicago called Little Bucharest that served a dish like that. It was called Schwarzwalder Rouladen. I remember ordering it and when it came it was SO gigantic that I couldn't even eat one quarter of it. I think we ate it for dinner for at least two additional nights. It was delicious.:)

The best and most amazing thing I ever ate was a proper french peppercorn steak that was done in the pan with demi-glaze, peppercorns, flambe in brandy and finished with whipping cream......*drools* done a little rare, it was...amazing... !!

goodweed, there used to be a restaurant in chicago called Little Bucharest that served a dish like that. It was called Schwarzwalder Rouladen. I remember ordering it and when it came it was SO gigantic that I couldn't even eat one quarter of it. I think we ate it for dinner for at least two additional nights. It was delicious.:)

MollyAnne and Chef June; People like that shaped my life. I tried to take those values with me into adulthood rather than the examples of selfish people. When we do things for others, we never know what effect it will have on those people. I mean, look at me. the kindness showed to me helped shape me into who I am, and gave me an example to give to my own children, and to others.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom