"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Best thing you ever ate?

I think the Food Network is making a show about this, so what's the best thing you ever ate? (or cooked/baked/etc?)

Old 03-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I cannot name one dish that so dominates my gastronomic adventures (neither can those chefs, really), but in the spirit of the game: warm crusty sourdough bread with Stilton and a ripe beefsteak tomato, perhaps a drizzle of good balsamic and maybe a slice of double smoked bacon. Glass of Malbec or Carmenere.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

They have modified their approach to make it the best thing... in a specific category.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Perhaps not necessarily the best, but the most memorable:

As a teenager, a high school lover and I were in San Fransisco on Fisherman's Wharf. We bought a wheel of warm, freshly baked, pre-scored sourdough bread and a pound of freshly steamed prawns in a paper bag from a street vendor. A bite of sour dough followed by a bite of prawn while watching the Sea Lions play, smelling the salt air, having to stay close in order to keep the wind and chill away, and being very much in love was absolutely wonderful!
Old 03-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Seafood Category: ~~~ Raw Oysters at The Ranchero In of all places, Clarksdale Ms. in the Mississippi Delta. I had ordered the KC Strip Special and the owner's daughter/owner ask me if I liked raw oysters..."Yep, Sure do"! ...We just got in a shipment from Abbyville (Louisiana) would you like to try them?..."Yep! Sure would"!...Bring me a 1/2 Dz....After the fourth oyster, I asked the daughter if I could cancel the KC Special and order more oysters..."Yep, sure can"...3 1/2 dozen later I left a happy camper...Ice cold, very plump and briney...Awesome. Never before nor since have I eaten Oysters that were that good!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The very first chocolate truffle. I was working in a bakery and the owner/baker decided to make his own truffles and sell them. I watched the entire process and at the end he gave me one truffle to taste...it was heaven and I've been trying to get back there ever since, flavor-wise.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

Right now, it's carrot cake.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

my mom's eagle brand milk, lemon pie. all that creamy goodness. i make them but not as good as mom.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:08 AM   #9
Flour Child

Seafood Category ~~~ Pure unadulterated Maine Lobster...then drowned in lemon butter . Must be cooked so it's tender and juicy. There's nothing worse than tough, dry, expensive Lobster.

Accompany this with a fabulous white wine like a 2007 French Pouilly Fuisse by Louis Jadot. It says "White Burgundy" on the label which sounds like a contradiction in terms to me. I've heard it referred to as a Chardonnay also.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
Head Chef

Beef Tenderloin from Sonoma Wine Bar & Bistro in Va Beach. So tender I could have cut it with a cardboard knife!