Best way to become a better cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machx

Assistant Cook
I have a strong interest in cooking, and the things I know how to cook I am decent at. I am a big fan of easy to prepare meals that take around a half hour. My problem is that I find one thing that is easy and keep doing that, and don't know what to expand to or get to lazy. When I was younger I used to be a lot more creative, when I had more free time on my hands. I am 27, and work pretty long hours, so at the end of the day I want pretty simple things to cook. This site is a great asset to me, I love the recipes everyone shares and tips and techniques but I was just wondering if anyone knew of a book, class, or anything that would provide me with a better general cooking education :)

I appreciate the help!

Thanks!
Matt

Hi Matt,
I would suggest picking up a copy of this:
Cook With Jamie

Cook With Jamie

cook-with-jamie-small.jpg
This is my guide to making you a better cook and it's the biggest book I've ever done! I think it looks beautiful and is full of simple and accessible recipes (160 of them!) that will blow the socks off your family and any guests you might have round for dinner.

And that's not all... there’s information on the equipment that I think you should have in your kitchen, advice on how to recognize and cook loads of different cuts of meat, as well as on how to get the best value and quality when you’re out shopping.

With Britain consuming more processed food than the rest of Europe put together, it’s a sad fact that most people just aren’t confident enough to cook any more. I'm hoping that with this new book, everyone will get stuck in and reclaim our fantastic cooking heritage!

PS: By the way, every single penny made from this book will go to the Fifteen Foundation. So go out and get yourself a copy!

• first published: UK hardback – Oct 2006

I'm sure this will be very helpful, I buy my cookbooks 2nd hand from Amazon, you may be able to pick it up there.

Will check out that book, sounds good to me. Thank you :)

Hermes House has a series of cookbooks that you can usually pick up really, really cheap. I like them because the recipes are written in a way that really makes sense, but they offer the flexibility to be creative.

Saw a book "Cooking for Idiots" Guide for men.. lol wonder if it's any good. :)

Cook with different people.
Grandma, learned to make pasties, and not to unbeat eggs.
Other Grandma, learned to bake bread and make soups.
Mom-try every ethnic food you'd ever want to try.
Sister- presentations make a difference and chocolate and caramel fill the cracks in a cheese cake. lol
Brother-gardening and canning.
Grown kids--see how the local subsandwich shop make their sandwiches.
Aunt Ursula-how to make perogies.
Aunt Marie and Ruth-how to make different Chinese dishes.
Friends-Roger-how to roll sushi.
Friends-Brian-how to make sausage gravy and biscuits.
Friends-Ron-grilling.
Friends-Lisa-tons of great recipes she shares.
Friends-Sam-tons of healthy cooking tips.
Friends-Will-Teas.
Friends-Jeff-Roasting his own coffee and sharing.
Friends-Linda-how to make some awesome salsa.
more...Usually if I share cooking with someone, they share things with me.

Go to restaurants to try things you later make at home. Buy premade things in the grocery Deli and then recreate them at home.

That is a great answer above !! I didnt get started cooking until my grandmother was already gone, and while I had seen the cooking right there before me I hadnt paid a lot of attention to it. I had to try and try certain things and be very stern with myself about admitting what was missing. Gradually I got several of the staples right. Which reminds me of two saying I always heard my grandmother use with some frequency. When someone would say they were not a good cook she would always reply, TO BE A GOOD COOK YOU GOTTA COOK, and I have certainly found that one to be true. The second was said when someone said they didnt like a certain vegetable or other food, and that is THERE ARE NO BAD FOODS, ONLY BAD COOKS , meaning simply that if something is prepared properly it will almost certainly taste good. With that as my background, there are only two foods I dont care for. Sure wish I had paid more attention back then.

I would recommend Joy of Cooking --- Irma S. Rombauer

4500 Recipes (In the 75th Anniversary Issue) Lots of information, methods and instruction --- Check your local Library for a copy -- or book store.
I given several of these books as gifts to young "Home Chefs" --- It's well worth being in your collection of cookbooks..

Have Fun & Enjoy!

PS...Don't forget the old adage ... Practice, Practice, Practice!!

Another idea would be to subscribe to a cooking magazine like Taste of Home. They have a few different magazines to choose from. You should be able to find them online somewhere too. I have been a subscriber for about 5 years and have saved all of my magazines for things that I still go back to - my favorite recipe is the blueberry french toast bake (this takes two days to make, but we have it every Christmas morning). Taste of Home has a few books too - I only have two of them, but they do put their better recipes in them. Most of them are easy to make. Of course, with my untalented hands, my meals never turn out like the pictures!!! Good luck!

Oh also - try looking around on the web for some local cooking shows or local talent willing to teach you some simple recipes with demonstration. I just contacted a friend with a restaurant and she is willing to teach me how to make a goulash recipe someone so kindly offered me on this website. You never know what you will find locally.

Thanks guys, all great ideas. and that idea of learning from others is really good - everyone has their specialities for sure. I think I have to be less afraid of messing up... worst case it doesn't taste good!

Matt,Try cooking for the week on your day off. Research new recipes that entice you, go shopping at your local markets for the freshest produce (which is always fun to do) and have a blast experimenting with your food. Freeze it in individual portions, pop in the microwave after work and VOILA! You're set for the week. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom