Best way to make a hard boiled egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobile1

Assistant Cook
I put my eggs into cold water, with lots of salt, and bring it to a boil.

When the water reaches boiling I remove it. After ten minutes I replace the hot water with cold.

After cooling, they are very difficult to peel, or remove the shell.

I have searched Google and found many different ways to peel eggs. None work well.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there a better way to make eggs that are easier to peel?

Thank you for your help.

Since you asked...I had the same problem. I bought a $15 gizmo at Walmart that holds 6 eggs and steams the eggs hard boiled. You pierce the top of the egg, then steam them. When done, you plunge them into cold water. The sudden cooling sucks water into the egg shell from the hole. They peel really easy after that. My wife and I had egg salad sandwiches for a long time. Best thing I ever got.

Dash Go Rapid Egg Cooker - Walmart.com

Yes I can vouch for the easier peeling resulting from making a hole in the wider end of the egg first (that has the air). Also I tend to very lightly 'bash' the egg (once done) and roll it a little. The rolling helps keep the pieces together when peeling.

Welcome to DC!

I've tried various foolproof methods for peeling eggs and I still run into an egg from time to time that just does not peel easily or perfectly. If I am making deviled eggs and need pretty eggs I cook one or two more than I need, if I find a clunker in the batch I chop it up and add it to the filling, no worries! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck!

Last edited:
Oddly, I've found if I peel my HB eggs while they're still slightly warm, it works pretty slick. If I put them in the fridge with the shells still on and peel them later, it's a crapshoot.

I pierce the blunt end of each egg with a push pin and cook it to hard boiled.

Then I pour off the hot water, shake the pan with the eggs to crack the shells all over and fill the pan with ice water. When the eggs are completely cooled, I peel then under a trickle of cold tap water.

As someone else mentioned, older eggs are easier to peel. So if you're getting eggs ready for Easter, go out and buy them today.

I hesitated to post here as I fear another 100+ post thread on hard boiled eggs. We already have several.

Last edited:
I have been letting them sit in hot water for ten minutes, before cooling them.

What would be the advantages or disadvantages of letting them sit in hot water for 9 minutes or 12 minutes?

I have been letting them sit in hot water for ten minutes, before cooling them.

What would be the advantages or disadvantages of letting them sit in hot water for 9 minutes or 12 minutes?

They could be under- or overcooked. Overcooked eggs have a green ring around the yolk and smell faintly sulfurous. Not pleasant to look at or to eat.

They could be under- or overcooked. Overcooked eggs have a green ring around the yolk and smell faintly sulfurous. Not pleasant to look at or to eat.

Letting them sit in the hot water for 12 minutes will NOT give you a ring. It just makes sure the egg is really well done in the middle of the yolk. I usually let them go about 10 minutes but depending on use or who the egg is for will sometimes let them go 12 so as to make sure the yolk is thoroughly cooked. I've never put salt in the water though. I do cover the pan so it boils faster.

I do try to always use older eggs as they do seem to peel better, and I've always heard that too from many sources. I gently crack all over the egg, kind of rolling it on a flat surface and then peel under gently running water. The shell generally comes off in pretty big pieces, albeit cracked.

Since you asked...I had the same problem. I bought a $15 gizmo at Walmart that holds 6 eggs and steams the eggs hard boiled. You pierce the top of the egg, then steam them. When done, you plunge them into cold water. The sudden cooling sucks water into the egg shell from the hole. They peel really easy after that. My wife and I had egg salad sandwiches for a long time. Best thing I ever got.

Dash Go Rapid Egg Cooker - Walmart.com

I haven't hard-cooked eggs the traditional way in well over 20 years. Instead I use a device similar to the one milford has referenced. Except I bought my little gadget at a thrift store for $2.

It cooks 8 eggs any way I like and also has the facility to poach 4 eggs at once.

It's been a wonderfully handy little kitchen helper.

And, like several have commented, I usually use eggs that are about a week old if I wish to peel them cleanly. Never had a problem.

Not sure of the confusion... I've never had any problems boiling or peeling eggs.

As someone earlier mentioned, poking a tiny hole in bottom of the egg (there is an air pocket there) will prevent the shell from breaking during the boil. A push pin is what I use... poke through JUST the shell. 6:15 for a soft boiled, large egg. That is if you place the egg in the already boiling water... then, boil it for 6:15.

I just heard that you put a 1-2 tsp of baking soda depending on how many you are cooking in the water. I haven't tried it as I don't generally have a problem.
I bring them to a boil turn heat off let set till you can put your hand in the water without scalding yourself - 10-15 min then I dump some of the water out till it is just covering the eggs. I then put the cover on the pot and shake the pot up and down sideways for a couple of min. When you open the cover you will fine some eggs totally peeled some need a little help. Not kidding - How I came about this is I roll them on the counter to get lots of broken shell and one day I was in a hurry so I did them all at once in the pan. Also I never wait till the are totally cooled down, much harder to peel - easier when they a warm

Back
Top Bottom